Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ykickamoocow

Green Light For 'red-tyre' Rule?

Are you a fan of the 'Red Tyre' rule?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a fan of the 'Red Tyre' rule?

• Yes
    • No
    • Dont know, Dont care

F1 will introduce the so-called 'red rule' to coincide with the beginning of the sport's sole tyre supplier era, we have learned.

It is understood that, in order to enhance Bridgestone's visibility after the withdrawal of Michelin, and to spice up the action for spectators, running two distinct tyre compounds - a 'hard' and a 'soft' - during every race will be mandatory for drivers.

Bridgestone pioneered the idea, involving the colouration of red tyre-walls to differentiate the softer tyre, in Champ Car.

It is understood that all eleven teams and the FIA have agreed to implement the rule for 2007.

http://www.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/new...115093448.shtml

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Im actually a fan of this rule as anything which improves the quality of the racing is good in my books.

It wont do anything for F1...maybe make the tyres look really stupid. Fact is teams could always choose different compounds and other teams always knew what each others used, so your not going to get anything strategic out of it, just dumbing it down the public.

So based on the the only change that would come from it (superficial looks) I vote no.

It's a daft rule for stupid people.

I couln't have said it better.... Yes!

Terrible idea.... Since when did F1 want to become champ car, anyway?

Granted its not the best idea in the world but since the introduction of the harder compound tyres many drivers have said that overtaking will become harder which is something none of us want. This Red Tyre rule could create more overtaking and im all for that.

I have no problems with the idea. As one of the few members of this forum to have actually seen the red-tyre rule at work in ChampCar, I can say that it adds an element of strategy to the mix. I disagree with Russ (oh my God, how did that happen??!!) that the rule is for 'stupid people'. It seems that the race engineers will have one three knights on their F1 chessboard instead of two. Good times.

I don't disagree with the idea of giving the teams a set of stickies to use at their discretion, in fact I like the idea. I object to the fact that they need to advertise it. Ooh, he's putting his red tyres on now, he's playing the joker. Double humbug.

Dont know, Dont care [ 1 ] [11.11%] = My Vote. Actually half dunno and half yes as i like red\tyre in usa.

I don't disagree with the idea of giving the teams a set of stickies to use at their discretion, in fact I like the idea. I object to the fact that they need to advertise it. Ooh, he's putting his red tyres on now, he's playing the joker. Double humbug.

Ah, the lightbulb blinks on in the puma's rattled skull!! I can now say I once again agree with Russ! Yes, I also think the red-tyre bit is for the fans (I think Firestone/Bridgstone said as much recently in regards to ChampCar). Formula 1 is where the big boys play; lets take off the kiddie red stripe.

Exactly! When someone's lap times tumble just after a stop, and he wears out his tyres in 10 laps I think we'll all have figured out that he's on stickies. So who needs a red stripe? They are assuming that we're too thick to work it out for ourselves.

Exactly! When someone's lap times tumble just after a stop, and he wears out his tyres in 10 laps I think we'll all have figured out that he's on stickies. So who needs a red stripe? They are assuming that we're too thick to work it out for ourselves.

I hope they do something a little more subtle than the Champ Car version, such as write Bridgestone in red or the little arrows on the logo in red.

And by the way in addiction to "RED" soft\tyres they could make "GREEN" hard\tyres. To make some hard laps for one driver to defend and make it easier for offenders to overtake. Heh. Kidding? Dunno. Maybe just a bit.

I hope they do something a little more subtle than the Champ Car version, such as write Bridgestone in red or the little arrows on the logo in red.

You sir, are a genius.

The only upside I can see is that it will give spectators an idea of how long each compounds last - and that's only the armchair fans who often have it pointed out to them by the commentators. I really don't see the point.

I think it's worth noting that although people say it will make the cars look stupid, they were never (for want of a better word) designed to look good in the first place. They were designed for pure speed, and although they are beautiful in their own rights, it really has nothing to do with the racing.

very true, think of it, Kimi jumps into the pits, throws on reds, whoever is following him jumps in too because need to keep up with Kimi. If #2 doesn't throw on his reds he falls so far behind that he wont catch up with his own reds after kimi wore his out. so in the end its does squat because both people will still be just where they were 12 laps ago.

Stupid cosmetic rule. Doesn't add really that much strategic dimension to the race (for reasons previously posted in this thread) and will be used as an excuse like "see how many improvements we have made to make this sport more entertaining!!!". Bah, we all know what this sport needs, and crappy rules designed to advertise Bridgestone more than to bring any excitement are not going to help! :angry:

Making the teams use both the hard and soft compounds will also help Bridgestone by not having a surplus of tyres at the end of each a GP. This will work in well with our sport attempting to go green in the future.

I'm very for environmentalism and saving the planet, but if we only had enough fuel for the world for one more year I would give it to F1 just so we can them race around Spa one more time

Making the teams use both the hard and soft compounds will also help Bridgestone by not having a surplus of tyres at the end of each a GP. This will work in well with our sport attempting to go green in the future.

While I admire the sentiment, Aussie, isn't this a bit like a woman going into McDonalds, ordering 3 big macs, 2 cheeseburgers, 5 large fries with ketchup and asking for diet coke ?

While I admire the sentiment, Aussie, isn't this a bit like a woman going into McDonalds, ordering 3 big macs, 2 cheeseburgers, 5 large fries with ketchup and asking for diet coke ?

Was writing a long post trying to make exactly the same point. :lol:

It's a stupid rule, with or without the red stripe. I don't have a problem with Bridgestone bringing an option tyre to each race, but just as now, each team should be required to select the one type of tyre they will use for the whole weekend - no later than quali on Saturday.

The red sidewalls are a stupid attempt to 'jazz' up the show after the FIA needlessly dumbed it down by mandating a single supplier.... bah, bah, bah!!!!!

Was writing a long post trying to make exactly the same point. :lol:

Sorry, Andres! :lol:

The red sidewalls are a stupid attempt to 'jazz' up the show after the FIA needlessly dumbed it down by mandating a single supplier.... bah, bah, bah!!!!!

Indeed! :D

It is unlikey, I know, but maybe the racing won't need jazzing up this season................I'm sorry, I seemed to have left the real world for a minute then, now where was I?? :lol: