Clicky

Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aussief1

Official Pre-season Testing Thread

Recommended Posts


Fisi is really showing the power of the car in these tests... Setting a way better time than Sutil and Luizi...

Perhaps that's Fisi's curse: being a great driver on mediocre cars and a mediocre driver on great cars. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Perhaps that's Fisi's curse: being a great driver on mediocre cars and a mediocre driver on great cars. :(

Yup. But if he does well with FI, then atleast he will earn some more respect and can be proud of getting FI up...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Perhaps that's Fisi's curse: being a great driver on mediocre cars and a mediocre driver on great cars. :(

My point exactly sir!

It's all about expectation and how one deals with it - The great drivers are motivated by expectation - How may times have I seen the likes of Senna, Michael, Nando, Lewis, Kimi, Mansell, Prost, Mika etc etc pull out that magical lap in the dying seconds of quali or the series of quick laps between pit stops to open up a lead - These guys step up to the plate when it matters most.

Fisi is a great driver, just couldn't handle the pressure

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
They're not new, they've had them on earlier in the winter tests.

McLaren have ran the front wheel fairings before yes, but these are two new evolutions on the concept with what seems to look like air intakes pointing forwards on the outer side of the wheel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pardon for interjecting into the conversation....

It's all about expectation and how one deals with it - The great drivers are motivated by expectation - How may times have I seen the likes of Senna, Michael, Nando, Lewis, Kimi, Mansell, Prost, Mika etc etc pull out that magical lap in the dying seconds of quali or the series of quick laps between pit stops to open up a lead - These guys step up to the plate when it matters most.

True.

Fisi is a great driver, just couldn't handle the pressure

Fisico is a great driver, with a unique style, when the car isn't Understeering. He needs the car to be nimble enough to go where he steers; this is because his entry is vitally important to how he takes corners (moreso than other drivers with a conventional entry). Understeer kills a tidy corner entry.

I am begining to feel some optimism anbout the RB4 as the last 2 days both Coulthard and Webber have set some very competitive times.

Ykick, you should know that testing proves nothing for the upcoming season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ykick, you should know that testing proves nothing for the upcoming season.

Not true. It is very difficult to tell who is fast and who isnt based on testing but not impossible. If you look at testing times for 5 or 6 test days then you can get a reasonable idea of where every team is in regards to speed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not true. It is very difficult to tell who is fast and who isnt based on testing but not impossible. If you look at testing times for 5 or 6 test days then you can get a reasonable idea of where every team is in regards to speed.

I'll somewhat give you 'in regards to speed', but how dependable is even that when you consider the other teams are testing different components, race configurations, etc? The best predictor of speed is the last practice session before qualy. Everything else is just mental masterbation...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well we can tell who ISN'T going to be competitive from testing...

...which means the paradox should be that we can tell who IS going to be competitive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
McLaren have ran the front wheel fairings before yes, but these are two new evolutions on the concept with what seems to look like air intakes pointing forwards on the outer side of the wheel.

Not according to pictures I saw of them weeks ago on another forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not according to pictures I saw of them weeks ago on another forum.

Ok, I must have missed that, whoops!!!

Can you PM the link to the pictures if it's not too much trouble?

Well thats what you get, Sato, for looking at another forum....the untruth!! :P

:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'll somewhat give you 'in regards to speed', but how dependable is even that when you consider the other teams are testing different components, race configurations, etc? The best predictor of speed is the last practice session before qualy. Everything else is just mental masterbation...
Well we can tell who ISN'T going to be competitive from testing...

...which means the paradox should be that we can tell who IS going to be competitive.

Formula One needs to have a qualy / shoot out style final test of the winter test before round one, where all the teams and drivers go balls out for a mega lap time in order to win some cash and prizes. MotoGp I think do or did something like this if I remember correctly. Someone maybe able to confirm either way. Whats everyone's thoughts on this??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ok, I must have missed that, whoops!!!

Can you PM the link to the pictures if it's not too much trouble?

:lol:

The picture posted was on the 24th of January and is the first one of it posted in here. The second picture actually looks different slightly though.. So maybe they modded it yet again after all.... First picture threw me off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree that the times may not show the ultimate pace but it is correct, it shows the good from the bad.

We can all agree that Honda, regardless of fuel, are still doing a smack up bang useless job, and Toyota continue to follow Ferrari around to test tracks with the hope of copying their ideas :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I agree that the times may not show the ultimate pace but it is correct, it shows the good from the bad.

We can all agree that Honda, regardless of fuel, are still doing a smack up bang useless job, and Toyota continue to follow Ferrari around to test tracks with the hope of copying their ideas :P

Hey now, thats not allowed - that would be spying and no one does that ever ever ever ever ever ever ever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
What has Piquet been doing all year as test driver? Testing the other car...not this one. Totally different car this year, or so they say.

Don't write him off just yet - remember GP2 was fought out between him and Lewis, and we all know what Lewis did last year against Alonso. And he has been ahead in the times against Alonso on some days.

Sure, no one's writing him off. But he is hardly new to F1 if he tested for a whole season, and Alonso has to get used to a new car too. With 2 seasons of GP2 and a whole year's worth of testing in the reigning WCC team, NPJr has far more experience than most of the recent greats like MS, Kimi, Nando, Lewis, yet they seemed in better shape at this stage.

9. Alonso - 2766.200km

16. Piquet - 1585.834km

Alonso has done a lot more testing compared to Piquet already this year. While the other rookies are getting reverse treatment, in which they are doing a lot more testing then the regular driver.

Renault should give Piquet bit more testing time.

Yes this is a very interesting post, and explains the confusion about why NPJr is making excuses. It would be fun if you kept us informed of how much time Renault is giving to each driver so we can accuse them of not treating Piquet fairly even before the season has started!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yes this is a very interesting post, and explains the confusion about why NPJr is making excuses. It would be fun if you kept us informed of how much time Renault is giving to each driver so we can accuse them of not treating Piquet fairly even before the season has started!

Is Piquet Jr. Closing on Alonso ?

Rookie formula one driver Nelson Piquet insists that, with each passing pre-season test day, he is closing the gap to his famous 2008 teammate, Fernando Alonso.

At the beginning of the intensive winter period earlier this year, the 22-year-old - who now wants to drop the 'junior' from the end of his name - was often conspicuously slower than Spaniard Alonso, the French team's drivers' world champion of 2005 and 2006.

"I was missing the confidence I needed," the Brazilian confided to Germany's Auto Motor und Sport magazine as he tested this week at Jerez.

When they went head-to-head at the circuit on Wednesday, Piquet's fast-lap deficit had dropped to just a few tenths, even if the gap is a bigger over longer runs.

He recalls of earlier tests: "At the beginning of longer distances, I was basically as fast as Fernando but then the gap opened up; Fernando going faster and me slower."

But at Jerez, Piquet insists that he is now beginning to fully understand the R28, which he says is a better car in all areas compared to last year's Renault.

"The gap to Alonso is shrinking," he proclaimed, albeit acknowledging that his teammate's experience is still paying dividends.

"Fernando carries more speed into the corners than I do. Sometimes I brake later than he does but I then have a problem going into the apex.

"Sometimes I go into the corner well, but then give away time to him at the braking point," he explained.

Piquet, however, says doing a lot of testing recently is getting his race-fitness back up to scratch, but he would also enjoy spending lots of time in a McLaren-style driving simulator.

"If we had one I would sit in it day and night," the Brazilian said.

He insists that he will not be pushing for stand-out performances at the beginning of the season, which kicks off in Australia in four weeks.

"For me I think it is important that at the start I don't make any stupid mistakes," Piquet said.

He also revealed that Renault engineers are busily working to bring more performance to the R28.

"I believe they now understand the characteristics of the Bridgestone tyre. That is not our problem any more.

"Now we have to work on the aerodynamics and quite simply find more grip," he added.

www.paddocktalk.com

well, seeing is believing, I hope he's telling the truth..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Well we can tell who ISN'T going to be competitive from testing...

...which means the paradox should be that we can tell who IS going to be competitive.

Indeed. You can tell the fastest guys (Ferrari, Mclaren) and the very slowest (Honda, FI), everything in between is where it becomes difficult, and of course this is more speed than reliability.

Formula One needs to have a qualy / shoot out style final test of the winter test before round one, where all the teams and drivers go balls out for a mega lap time in order to win some cash and prizes. MotoGp I think do or did something like this if I remember correctly. Someone maybe able to confirm either way. Whats everyone's thoughts on this??

I think that would be a pretty good idea, MotoGP does have something like that - I think Rossi won it last year though (so it *still* doesn't mean much considering Stoner's domination).

I agree that the times may not show the ultimate pace but it is correct, it shows the good from the bad.

We can all agree that Honda, regardless of fuel, are still doing a smack up bang useless job, and Toyota continue to follow Ferrari around to test tracks with the hope of copying their ideas :P

Exactly :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Is Piquet Jr. Closing on Alonso ?

Rookie formula one driver Nelson Piquet insists that, with each passing pre-season test day, he is closing the gap to his famous 2008 teammate, Fernando Alonso.

At the beginning of the intensive winter period earlier this year, the 22-year-old - who now wants to drop the 'junior' from the end of his name - was often conspicuously slower than Spaniard Alonso, the French team's drivers' world champion of 2005 and 2006.

"I was missing the confidence I needed," the Brazilian confided to Germany's Auto Motor und Sport magazine as he tested this week at Jerez.

When they went head-to-head at the circuit on Wednesday, Piquet's fast-lap deficit had dropped to just a few tenths, even if the gap is a bigger over longer runs.

He recalls of earlier tests: "At the beginning of longer distances, I was basically as fast as Fernando but then the gap opened up; Fernando going faster and me slower."

But at Jerez, Piquet insists that he is now beginning to fully understand the R28, which he says is a better car in all areas compared to last year's Renault.

"The gap to Alonso is shrinking," he proclaimed, albeit acknowledging that his teammate's experience is still paying dividends.

"Fernando carries more speed into the corners than I do. Sometimes I brake later than he does but I then have a problem going into the apex.

"Sometimes I go into the corner well, but then give away time to him at the braking point," he explained.

Piquet, however, says doing a lot of testing recently is getting his race-fitness back up to scratch, but he would also enjoy spending lots of time in a McLaren-style driving simulator.

"If we had one I would sit in it day and night," the Brazilian said.

He insists that he will not be pushing for stand-out performances at the beginning of the season, which kicks off in Australia in four weeks.

"For me I think it is important that at the start I don't make any stupid mistakes," Piquet said.

He also revealed that Renault engineers are busily working to bring more performance to the R28.

"I believe they now understand the characteristics of the Bridgestone tyre. That is not our problem any more.

"Now we have to work on the aerodynamics and quite simply find more grip," he added.

www.paddocktalk.com

well, seeing is believing, I hope he's telling the truth..

Probably is. But I'd still bet on Alonso to smash him over the course of the season, I mean this a guy that took on Schumacher...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Is Piquet Jr. Closing on Alonso ?

Rookie formula one driver Nelson Piquet insists that, with each passing pre-season test day, he is closing the gap to his famous 2008 teammate, Fernando Alonso.

At the beginning of the intensive winter period earlier this year, the 22-year-old - who now wants to drop the 'junior' from the end of his name - was often conspicuously slower than Spaniard Alonso, the French team's drivers' world champion of 2005 and 2006.

"I was missing the confidence I needed," the Brazilian confided to Germany's Auto Motor und Sport magazine as he tested this week at Jerez.

When they went head-to-head at the circuit on Wednesday, Piquet's fast-lap deficit had dropped to just a few tenths, even if the gap is a bigger over longer runs.

He recalls of earlier tests: "At the beginning of longer distances, I was basically as fast as Fernando but then the gap opened up; Fernando going faster and me slower."

But at Jerez, Piquet insists that he is now beginning to fully understand the R28, which he says is a better car in all areas compared to last year's Renault.

"The gap to Alonso is shrinking," he proclaimed, albeit acknowledging that his teammate's experience is still paying dividends.

"Fernando carries more speed into the corners than I do. Sometimes I brake later than he does but I then have a problem going into the apex.

"Sometimes I go into the corner well, but then give away time to him at the braking point," he explained.

Piquet, however, says doing a lot of testing recently is getting his race-fitness back up to scratch, but he would also enjoy spending lots of time in a McLaren-style driving simulator.

"If we had one I would sit in it day and night," the Brazilian said.

He insists that he will not be pushing for stand-out performances at the beginning of the season, which kicks off in Australia in four weeks.

"For me I think it is important that at the start I don't make any stupid mistakes," Piquet said.

He also revealed that Renault engineers are busily working to bring more performance to the R28.

"I believe they now understand the characteristics of the Bridgestone tyre. That is not our problem any more.

"Now we have to work on the aerodynamics and quite simply find more grip," he added.

www.paddocktalk.com

well, seeing is believing, I hope he's telling the truth..

Yes good postage Bradley. Seems Nelsinho doesn't have a simulator like McLaren - I suppose they're not as well-funded a team. Still, I'm surprised he's "a few tenths" slower on short runs and worse on longer runs. That still seems a big-ish gap. The fact that Alonso has tested almost twice as much can't help, and no doubt the car will be fine-tuned to Alonso's style. Hopefully Nelsonho will close up some more soon enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Piquet is talking too much and focusing on Nando when he should just focus on his own driving - He's coming across as an immature and nervous driver. He can't have what his team doesn't have, so wishing for a simulator is negative thinking. If he thinks he's getting closer to Nando in testing, just wait till the season starts proper - I predict a huge gulf in performance and the pressure will eat him up.

It's gonna be bloody

:o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But realistically what do you lot expect? He is a rookie, and rookies are expected to finish behind their more experienced team mates, especially a two time champion no less.

Lewis broke that perception, and now you are expecting PK to keep up the tradition. He will probably beat Alonso on one or two tracks, but over the season Alonso should have him covered easily.

The arguments being proposed put into perspective the abilities of Lewis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...