Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insider

Today In F1

Looks like Jacques Villeneuve will not need to be banned.

Jacques Villeneuve has put an end to his quest to return to Formula One. The 1997 series champion said on Thursday that he will not pursue any more F1 opportunities after his partnership with Italian-based Durango failed to earn a spot on the grid for the 2011 season. Instead he's decided to turn his attention to his budding NASCAR career. "All the other stuff we're doing took to the back burner, like NASCAR. I think it's time to just focus on one thing." Villeneuve has driven intermittently for Braun Racing in NASCAR at both the Sprint Cup and Nationwide Series levels the past four seasons. He's yet to win a top-level stock car race, but has three top 10 finishes in the Nationwide Series. He came close to earning a podium at the Bucyrus 200 this season when he was running second with two laps to go until a mechanical failure dropped him to 25th. "Last week I was in Australia doing a V8 race and that was interesting, but right now my focus is on NASCAR."(National Post)(10-30-2010)

Sutil's blown his shot at Renault these last few races, hasn't he? Not like Petrovsky's done much better in that regard. I suppose Vitaly is vital to the driver market; Renault or gets farmed out to 1Malaysia.

Force India don't seem as keen on di Resta as the media seem to think they are. In talks with a host of drivers. Aleshin among them. Heidfeld too. Something tells me they won't replace either driver, though. That's the trend. Sutil's probably better than Force India except when he isn't. Which is 50% of the time.

Well, Sutil is still rumoured to be in talks with Williams, although Williams seem to be warming to Hulkenberg based on this story. But yeah, he didn't help his chances with what happened at Korea. Which reminds me, Korea are planning to name a corner after him. Trouble is, they can't decide which one.

f1korea2.jpg

:P

On a more serious note though, I think Liuzzi will stay at Force India if Sutil goes. However, again, reportedly Merc has made Force India a deal that they'll supply their engines at a considerably cheaper price if the Indian team goes for an all German line up, which looks like Heidfeld and Sutil, although Liuzzi insists he has a contract.

If Petrov stays, I expect there'll be no change in the new teams either. If he does go though, I guess Renault could do a swap and change Petrov for Kovalainen as Kovy didn't exactly seem 100% like he'd stay at Lotus with an interview the BBC did, and Renault have said that even if they don't go for Petrov, they'll try and help him stay in F1. Trulli's by no means guaranteed at Lotus either though, as rumours persist that he's off to NASCAR at the end of this year. Glock hasn't totally committed to Virgin either for next year, it seems he's dissatisfied with recent lack of progress despite updates the team have brought to the party.

I think Hulkenberg will just keep his drive with what has been said, so no change there then, unless Barrichello has a complete change in mind and decides to retire in which case Maldonado will most likely get it.

I do not expect to be entertained by F1. I enjoy using my brain while I watch F1, which is not the case while I am entertained.

Simple but great observation.

One thing that bugs me is that Alonsonites always dredge up that quote from Ron Dennis that he made at China(?) that "we're racing Alonso" had some deep ulterior motive that the team was against Alonso, when the simple fact was that McLaren were just so dominant and the two cars on different strategies that they simply didn't consider the other cars a threat. They were just racing each other, and the question was in regards to Hamilton's race strategy, not McLarens team policy or mission statement.

One thing that bugs me is that Alonsonites always dredge up that quote from Ron Dennis that he made at China(?) that "we're racing Alonso" had some deep ulterior motive that the team was against Alonso, when the simple fact was that McLaren were just so dominant and the two cars on different strategies that they simply didn't consider the other cars a threat. They were just racing each other, and the question was in regards to Hamilton's race strategy, not McLarens team policy or mission statement.

If team manager uses "we" that means "team". So McLaren as a team was racing against Alonso. He did not say "Hamilton is racing Alonso". Anyway he has shown poor judgement (thus bad managerial skill) because someone they were not racing took the title. :)

If the Internet is correct...

Lotus Racing – 1Malaysia Racing

Renault F1 – Lotus F1

Both will be powered by Renault. 1Malaysia will run the glorious colorful livery with AirAsia branding; Lotus will actually be supported by Lotus Group and run the Lotus colors.

Additionally, VWAG will NOT enter Formula 1 in 2013. No interest. They said they'd decide in November and so they have. No Volkswagen, Audi, Porsche, Sköda, SEAT, etc. VWAG are now evaluating NASCAR and World Rally. Audi and Porsche will carry on in sports cars. Wise choices they've made, even if they are disappointing to F1 fans.

Renault F1 – Lotus F1

Both will be powered by Renault. 1Malaysia will run the glorious colorful livery with AirAsia branding; Lotus will actually be supported by Lotus Group and run the Lotus colors.

Additionally, VWAG will NOT enter Formula 1 in 2013. No interest. They said they'd decide in November and so they have. No Volkswagen, Audi, Porsche, Sköda, SEAT, etc. VWAG are now evaluating NASCAR and World Rally. Audi and Porsche will carry on in sports cars. Wise choices they've made, even if they are disappointing to F1 fans.

Just a quick comment as your post might be confusing:

Lotus Racing= 1Malaysia Racing

Renault F1 (which is not Renault anymore) will be Lotus Renault, alebit it won't be Lotus, nor Renault, but Lada and Genii, however, Renault will provide them with engines, as they will also provide 1Malaysia Team so it would be more correct to name 1Malaysia Team as 1Malaysia Renault Team and Lotus Renault as Lada Genii Coolangatta Skype Banking System Renault Not Quite Lotus and Definitely Not Renault Team, a name likely to attract many sponsors, I can imagine.

There, now everything is clear.

Maybe Fernandes could call his team Brabham or something similar...:P

What, and get Bernie all in a tiz? Maybe Sir Jack would go show em how to engineer a car though...

[/size]

If team manager uses "we" that means "team". So McLaren as a team was racing against Alonso. He did not say "Hamilton is racing Alonso". Anyway he has shown poor judgement (thus bad managerial skill) because someone they were not racing took the title. :)

Did you know that "we" is often used as a singular, not just a plural? For example I might be asked what I'm doing this weekend, and I'll say "we're watching the F1", but I only mean me. It's a colloquialism of the English language, and understandably a little confusing for people that don't have English as their first language. And even if it was used in the plural, lil ol' Freddy wasn't on his little lonesome, so there is no way the team was against him, even though you may wish it to be the case to make him seem like an angel or whatever. I didn't see him on his lonesome against the team, engineering his car, fueling it on his own, changing the tyres on his own, working out the setup on his own, etc etc etc all without the assistance of the team.

Renault F1 – Lotus F1

If 1Malayasia uses that paint scheme, I say, BAN 1MALAYSIA.

Did you know that "we" is often used as a singular, not just a plural? For example I might be asked what I'm doing this weekend, and I'll say "we're watching the F1", but I only mean me. It's a colloquialism of the English language, and understandably a little confusing for people that don't have English as their first language. And even if it was used in the plural, lil ol' Freddy wasn't on his little lonesome, so there is no way the team was against him, even though you may wish it to be the case to make him seem like an angel or whatever. I didn't see him on his lonesome against the team, engineering his car, fueling it on his own, changing the tyres on his own, working out the setup on his own, etc etc etc all without the assistance of the team.

Explanation about "we" is pure BS unless you provide credible reference.

Anyhow, team manager should not use colloquialisms while talking publicly to avoid being misunderstood. If he did that is another proof of managerial mistake :)

FIA had official observer in McLaren garage to ensure that ALonso is treated fairly, that fact alone shows state of affairs within McLaren.

Finally I am not Alonso fan! My favorite, at the time, won 2007 championship. :)

What, and get Bernie all in a tiz? Maybe Sir Jack would go show em how to engineer a car though...

Oh, what doesn't get Bernie in a tiz?

Finally I am not Alonso fan! My favorite, at the time, won 2007 championship. :)

Who?

:P

10 Questions for Stephen Hawking (From Time Magazine)

Q: Given your reputation as a brilliant physicist, what ordinary interests do you have that might surprise people?

A: I enjoy all forms of music--pop, classical and opera. I also share an interest in Formula One racing with my son Tim.

10 Questions for Stephen Hawking (From Time Magazine)

Q: Given your reputation as a brilliant physicist, what ordinary interests do you have that might surprise people?

A: I enjoy all forms of music--pop, classical and opera. I also share an interest in Formula One racing with my son Tim.

I also share interest in Physics and I not telling it every journalist!!!! :P

Well, windscreens and LDM prophesying that it is only a matter of time before Vettel is driving a red car. The former, while seeming to be eminently sensible from a safety aspect, could become a hazard when you consider the amount of wet races we had last year. Certainly worth looking at though. Vettel to Ferrari? Looks like a shoe-in for 2012, despite the young man's declarations of loyalty to his current team.

I'm more interested in windscreens than where the wunderkind drives. Where'd you get that from?

EDIT: Billy Bremner the Rockpile man?

I'm more interested in windscreens than where the wunderkind drives. Where'd you get that from?

There's something about windscreens here Russ, http://www.totalf1.com/full_story/view/361496/FIA_to_propose_windscreens_to_protect_drivers/ I think the original article was from Autosprint.

Rain on a screen will be difficult.... but, you're following a car on a damp/wet track and he puts a wheel on the grass, throws up the poo and your screen looks like a used nappy, and you can't reach to clean it. They need to think again. <_<

Ta for that. I've just seen the potatoshopped image and can't help thinking that the distortion/refraction will be significant if they want it to cope with impact loads. Bad idea. Better off continuing with helmet improvements.

Windscreen is just wrong.

Maybe someone saw a 1960's-esque Cooper or something with their windscreens? Cept, the driver was still above them due to the more upright seating position than what the current F1 cars employ.

Stupidity dipity dumb and I will not let it happen. Death to all windscreens!!

I think it's just continued paranoia from what happened with Massa in F1 and Henry Surtees in F2 last year.

I personally am against this idea. Depending on how big the windscreens are, I fear it could cause more problems than it solves, like drivers struggling to get out of a car quickly if there's a fire for example.

Windscreens also go against the single-seater, open-c*ckpit concept that F1 has always been too. Motorsport is dangerous and occasionally freakish (and sometimes tragic) occurances do happen, but, touching wood, hopefully the likes of Massa's and Surtees' accidents were those one in a million type accidents so I personally don't believe changes need to be made.

(AUTOSPORT ran a similar story to this a week after what happened with the two accidents in '09. Interesting how this magazine produces a similar article....I blame a slow news day.)

No Billy is too busy learning songs! We've got four debut gigs together in the New Year: www.troubleboys.se

I got it from here: http://www.totalf1.com/full_story/view/361496/FIA_to_propose_windscreens_to_protect_drivers/

Any UK dates in 2011 Sean?

Alas, no. It's financial suicide. Japan though!