Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Quiet One

Breaking News! Senna To Williams Renault!

I still like the guy and I am glad for him (although I must confess it is 99% for purely emotional reasons). I can't help but feel bad for Rubinho, but there's also some symmetry on his side of the story: he landed in F1 as Ayrton's protegé, and now leaves to make place for his nephew.

Now, if only someone could post a link to it...

I'm glad for him. The criticisms are obvious and no doubt someone will point them out, but I think he has some potential.

Serious question: do we discuss things in their own threads now or in Today in F1? I'm just wondering. Maybe this forum would appear more active if the new moderator locked up Today in F1 and we went back to creating threads like these? A lot less digging to do. Perhaps when someone sees an interesting piece of news, and wants to see what the forums are saying, they come here, don't see the thread, so they leave? Today in F1 was a good idea but I think we ought to go back to doing these threads, since we either end up not discussing things or we end up discussing the same thing in two places.

Serious question: do we discuss things in their own threads now or in Today in F1? I'm just wondering. Maybe this forum would appear more active if the new moderator locked up Today in F1 and we went back to creating threads like these? A lot less digging to do. Perhaps when someone sees an interesting piece of news, and wants to see what the forums are saying, they come here, don't see the thread, so they leave? Today in F1 was a good idea but I think we ought to go back to doing these threads, since we either end up not discussing things or we end up discussing the same thing in two places.

I know Today in F1 was created as a single source for multiple news cause there were alot of threads around at the time on same subject matter and not too clutter, but this idea makes sense... ... so much so that I'm vouching for it...

at least we should try and see what works to get the forum back up again....

The cherry of the cake! Now the older great team williams F1 has 2 pay drivers of uncertain future. Never thought I will see Williams falling so deep...the future is like other great teams like Tyrrel, Lotus (the real one) and Brabham.

Please look after this Senna. No more column inches.

And I agree with disbanding the 'Today in F1' thread. Let's re-invigorate the forum in any way possible.

Made me realise all members have a responsibility to participate. Use it or lose it, and all that.

Apologies for the blip.

Yay Steve is back!

No need to apologise, it happened to all of us while walking the empty streets of what once was a teeming, crazy and yes-nonsense (if I am allowed the neologism) forum.

Re TodayF1: it's ok if it stays just for those little news that one feel don't deserve a thread. Some other person can decide it deserves its own thread (it was this case, I've read the post on TodayF1 already but still decided to make this thread)

Re keeping the forum alive: sadly, I don't know what can we do to re ignite the forums. Many people have left and seems not to be coming back, others come and go, and I don't think we can do much to attract new people. Without a "critical mass" of posters, newcomers simply post a couple of "hi, I am an <insert random driver/tea, here> fan, check my website" and then disappear,and us old posters that still make some comments can't be expected to be around 24/7 delivering witty snippets or profound analysis just for the forum's sake. It must flow naturally.

Even though we are down to less than a dozzen, I still feel the need to post here, though some things I would like to write about I just don't feel inspired enough to actually type them (e.g. I wanted to make threads discussing each team and their drivers performance in 2011, but it was just too much typing! I'm growing old!)

Anyways, as long as there is some joy in staying around, I can wait for good old friends, they are worth the patience. And I sincerely hope new blood (guys like Caesar) keep coming even if slowly. This place deserves a better end than Rubinhos f1 career :D

And I agree with disbanding the 'Today in F1' thread. Let's re-invigorate the forum in any way possible.

Made me realise all members have a responsibility to participate. Use it or lose it, and all that.

Apologies for the blip.

Hiya Steve!!! got worried there for a sec, glad I did'nt need to pm and do some persuasion tricks :lol:

Back on topic: Senna says he has full support from his family and Barrichello seems rather philosophical, ssaying he will probably take a year off motorsport before the itch comes again. Probably means that he either gets another F1 drive or otherwise a year off before considering the Argentinian Donkey Rally.

Apologies for the blip.

I can only agree with you, Steve - on all points. I think the big thing in Bruno's favour is that he is considered average at best and he's driving an average car for what is sadly now, and average team. No one is expecting miracles from him.

Back on topic: Senna says he has full support from his family and Barrichello seems rather philosophical, ssaying he will probably take a year off motorsport before the itch comes again. Probably means that he either gets another F1 drive or otherwise a year off before considering the Argentinian Donkey Rally.

We've seen the last of Rubens. He's one of those sports persons who doesn't know when it's time to stop. There's simply 0% a team will pick him up for next year, unless... someone gets injured and needs a replacement. But Heidfeld is always going to be high up on that list too. Plus there are other recent F1 deportees who could also be considered and have youth and sponsorship. Rubens might have a little sponsorship, but his claim to having a vast wealth of knowledge and experience doesn't seem to have helped him any better than the rookies.

Good on him for being philosophical about next year, but the reality is he's had his time. He had a good year in 2009, but that was as a result of the magnificent set of circumstances leading up to the 2009 season. If you take 2009 out of the equation, then drivers with better results than him, have lost their drives, while he somehow kept his.

As for Williams, the sad slide into back-marker status, is like driving past a car crash and not being able to turn away.

the fact that he got back into racing very late and still had the pace to keep up in F1 means he is good. For his sake, I hope Williams can give him a decent car. All the best Bruno.

Hiya Steve!!! got worried there for a sec, glad I did'nt need to pm and do some persuasion tricks :lol:

Is that what the nipple twisting was about? If so - I advise Steve stay away (from Brad that is, not TF1).

Anyway - yes to closing Today in F1 - or at least limiting it to tiny news pieces that are unlikely to lead to conversation. I never really answer anything in that thread because it doesn't feel like the right place for discussion. It's more just for a heads up on what's happened. If interesting news is posted in a thread for that purpose I'm much more likely to reply.

Now Senna - I'm still willing to "wait and see".

So far - average. But then again he's had a crap car for one season and then a break for half a year and then an average car in which he did okay - no miracles, but not terrible either.

As far as I can see he's probably better than a few drivers on the grid, so why not give him a shot?

I fear Williams are likely to be fairly poor in general, so it will probably be another average performance in an average car for 2012.