Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ykickamoocow

"moving" Ferrari Floor Under Scrutiny From Rivals

Haha...is great to read the Ferrari - Mclaren fight without being part of it!...

The bad thing would happen if the FIA doesnt notice anything ilegal with the Ferrari

They're not gonna penalise their good buddies Ferrari now are they

Judging by the language Ron Dennis used, "Clarification", that suggests to me that if the system isn't banned, it will soon end up on the McLaren

probably you are right but Ferrari only got better before that, wich means that their performance was not in that device, beacuse it was banned but they got better.

Every car got better, even the Renaults without the mass dampers.

Main reasons:

- chassi evolusions (6 to 9 per year)

- engine evolutions (5 per year)

- new tyre compounds (as much as tyre 200 compounds)

- new aero package (different and better at every race, so 18 aero packages)

They just didn't get as good as they could have.

BTW, Ferrari have been using this flexi floor since 2006 Brasilian GP.

At that point in the season it would have been too late to protest it, a protest wouldn't have affected results so it wasnt really worth the bother

Haha...is great to read the Ferrari - Mclaren fight without being part of it!...

The bad thing would happen if the FIA doesnt notice anything ilegal with the Ferrari

Judging by ron's comments he is either:

A: trying to get it banned

B: Seeking to get it ratified before he puts it on his own car.

It is IMO a fair position he isn't stirring anything. If he feels an opponent is gaining an advantage by breaking the rules, or if he feels that he can gain speed, then he is right to ask for the FIA's position on it. If it is illegal, other teams are gaining an unfair advantage, and if it is legal, he will want it to improve his own performance.

I don't think this is the conspiracy against Ferrari some people are claiming it is.

Strange response from someone who is really betting on Kimi to win this year.....

I am betting on Kimi for the title this year; my comment was meant to point out how Shumi's comment can be taken from a different angle...

The 2007 Mclaren is on a completely different level than last years car, it is not the same fast reliable car, that was the point he made.Alonso did'nt just take care of the car and brought it home, it is the 2nd fastest car on the grid

Alonso mentioned in the post-race that he stayed far enough back from Hamilton so that his car would stay cool. In my book, that is taking care of the car. Clearly Alonso believed that if he ran up close to Hamilton's rear, and into the hot, dirty air there, he would have engine cooling issues....and by inference, problems related to engine/wiring/etc elements overheating.

The car is the 2nd fastest on the grid, but the 2nd most reliable....we've yet to see if that's true. It could be the car is just as fragile, but the drivers are taking better care of it. It's too early to tell that, but I'm sure it will become apparent as the season progresses.

The reliability of McLaren's 2007 car was very good in testing, I don't think they had a single engine failure in testing, only a few minor glitches. At the moment Ferrari's car is a bit on the edge, it will be intriguing to see how that pans out

Well apart from the ones that went past their life requirement and saftey margin, yea. It's funny actually because Todt is talking about improving reliability while Ron is talking of improving performance...reverse of their 2005 states.

They didn't actually have any on-track blowups though did they?

Reliability problems will show in Malaysia if anywhere, so I wouldn't be surprised if we see some of those rather large chimneys on the Ferrari

It would be totally uncharacteristic for Ferrari to kick off the new season having constructed the car on an illegal floor.The flexi wings were on the edge of legitimacy and I believe Ferrari removed them by themselves,but if the floor of the new car behaves like that then its bound to be legal according to the possible "windows" in the regulations.They wouldn't risk to be setback on development because of an illegal component.All the teams know they can't hide anything.The main thing is to fully exploit the regulations.

The only reliability issues on the Ferrari that I've heard about concerns their gearbox. It's a bit fragile when jarred.

It would be totally uncharacteristic for Ferrari to kick off the new season having constructed the car on an illegal floor.The flexi wings were on the edge of legitimacy and I believe Ferrari removed them by themselves,but if the floor of the new car behaves like that then its bound to be legal according to the possible "windows" in the regulations.They wouldn't risk to be setback on development because of an illegal component.All the teams know they can't hide anything.The main thing is to fully exploit the regulations.

Actually I think it would be just like Ferrari to try and bend the rules. If the FIA does ban them, I cannot imagine it would set them back too much, they recovered from the Flex-wing ban pretty quickly.

As for the removal, I think the FIA just put a quiet word in their ear, no announcement was made that they where actually banned until BMW and McLaren where asked to remove them before the Australian GP

Actually I think it would be just like Ferrari to try and bend the rules. If the FIA does ban them, I cannot imagine it would set them back too much, they recovered from the Flex-wing ban pretty quickly.

As for the removal, I think the FIA just put a quiet word in their ear, no announcement was made that they where actually banned until BMW and McLaren where asked to remove them before the Australian GP

We are not saying anything different here.Bending the rules is one thing and breaking them is another... :shuriken:

There is no such thing as 'bending' the rules. You are either in compliance or not. The trouble with innovation is that it must exist first, then be classified and then compared to the existing rules to see if that innovation is legal or not. The alleged Ferrari innovation now exists and is being challenged. Now the FIA must look at it to see if it's legal or not. There is no 'bending' going on, just innovation and the classification of that innovation.

Either way it means Ferrari lose some of their advantage.

It gets banned, they lose performance, it gets Ratified it is on the McLaren by the next race. Now all that remains to be seen is how much extra it gave them.

And if Renault where using it as well, then they have SERIOUS work to do

Much as I'd like to see Alonso and Hamilton beat the guys in red, I value innovation above that. I'll be sorry to see this floor go away like I'm sorry to have lost TMD's and flexible wings.

There is no such thing as 'bending' the rules. You are either in compliance or not. The trouble with innovation is that it must exist first, then be classified and then compared to the existing rules to see if that innovation is legal or not. The alleged Ferrari innovation now exists and is being challenged. Now the FIA must look at it to see if it's legal or not. There is no 'bending' going on, just innovation and the classification of that innovation.
Much as I'd like to see Alonso and Hamilton beat the guys in red, I value innovation above that. I'll be sorry to see this floor go away like I'm sorry to have lost TMD's and flexible wings.

Couldnt agree more, it is genius to interperate the rules in such a way but asking for clarification of those rules and another teams understanding is not whining but just seeing if the R&D is worth the effort to persue.

I'm not a fan of Ron but he cant be slated for this in any way.

There where no team orders at all. Alonso managed the gap to lewis (0.5-2 seconds), and while he was behind lewis he saved a lap of fuel. This, combined with Lewis getting held up by Sato was enough for Alonso to pass him. There are no team orders, and there aren't likely to be at this stage of the season.

The kind of clear-air laptimes Massa was doing, he would probably not have troubled Alonso anyway (yes I did put clear air before someone tries to be clever and say he was stuck behind Barrichello)

I am not talking about team orders, I am talking about the team taking the desicion to help alonso by having a longer pit stop for Hamilton I am not sure about the difference in the second pit stop but is was more or less two seconds and there were only two laps between their pit stop and everybody here knows how many litres of gas gets in the car per second, there was only no reason for this difference with just two laps between them and they call Hamilton first for the second pit stop wich is another help for Alonso how was lapping faster for two laps due to the lighter car, is so easy to be done this way without any team order to the drivers, but anyway the team can do this anytime they want beacuse it is not ilegal.

He is just pointing fingers with this, Heidfeld was not blocking any car, and about the strategy, any team can choose what moment is better for them to use any kind of tyre and any amount of fuel, in conclusion, yes he is pointing fingers like he has done in the past.

Yeah they were showboating and it was a stupid tactic but they're allowed to do it.

Are you saying you think team orders were used? Possibly they were, but I suspect Alonso was really a bit faster during the race anyway and he had been given a better strategy.

And welcome back Schumikonen!

Thank you Murray.

Look at my last post for the answer to your question.

Can't wait to see Hammy spank alonso's hairy arse this season. He looked very composed and confident in the Mclaren. moving floor or not the ferrari is clearly ahead because its a better car with the better driver!

Mclaren is still a bloody good car and if Alonso is really the "great" driver as his fans claim then he will take the fight to Ferrari and Kimi. Schumacher won his first title with benetton and Ferrari with non-dominant cars of the field. If Alonso can take the fight to the last race in this mclaren then he is truly a legend. if not, he is just a good driver making the most of the great renault package!

Can't wait to see Hammy spank alonso's hairy arse this season. He looked very composed and confident in the Mclaren. moving floor or not the ferrari is clearly ahead because its a better car with the better driver!

Mclaren is still a bloody good car and if Alonso is really the "great" driver as his fans claim then he will take the fight to Ferrari and Kimi. Schumacher won his first title with benetton and Ferrari with non-dominant cars of the field. If Alonso can take the fight to the last race in this mclaren then he is truly a legend. if not, he is just a good driver making the most of the great renault package!

This is a good post and I think that Hamilton already started to show what he is made of, it would not be a surprise to see him ending the championship ahead of Alonso, from now on I will take a closer look to Puma's post he was complete right about Hamilton.

hamilton had a great debut but i'd bet money there's no way he'll finish this years championship ahead of alonso on points

Either way it means Ferrari lose some of their advantage.

It gets banned, they lose performance, it gets Ratified it is on the McLaren by the next race. Now all that remains to be seen is how much extra it gave them.

And if Renault where using it as well, then they have SERIOUS work to do

Renault didn't used it yet, BMW did (someting similar). Reanult I've heard are going to test it next week and have it on their cars for Malaysia.