Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ykickamoocow

"moving" Ferrari Floor Under Scrutiny From Rivals

interesting, but how do you test for that kind of thing? it must be almost impossible unless you bring each car into a wind tunnel for testing..

When we were watching the race yesterday my wife was saying to me how bitchy F1 is, and she's right! There's always someone being accused of something!

Does aanyone know how much faster a F1 car will go with a system like this?

it implies that the speed gains are in the corners, with extra downforce provided from the undertray of the car. i imagine very hard to quantify without direct side-by-side tests of identical cars...

Why doesn't Ron Dennis take names if he's so p**sed off with Ferrari?

Anyway , I hope that Ferrari has done no wrong.

me too - as it would be very hard to prove it if they are!

me too - as it would be very hard to prove it if they are!

I think that is the point.

Anyway this is Ron Dennis we are talking about and he wouldnt say anything to the media if he thought the Ferrari was legal. I wonder what other teams noticed or was it only McLaren?

haha so true - do you remember what prompted her to say this?

i told her about Spyker and Williams being angry with STR & Aguri over the whole customer chassis issue, that prompted her to say how bitchy F1 is, and she referred to last year when people were angry with Ferrari (in her words) "for bits flapping about", then she said FIA should have a female leader who can say (again, her words not mine): "shutup you bitch" to Williams and Spyker.

Obviously I disagreed with the idea of a female FIA president. She went on to tell me that if she were an F1 driver she would have a pink and purple helmet to stand out

i told her about Spyker and Williams being angry with STR & Aguri over the whole customer chassis issue, that prompted her to say how bitchy F1 is, and she referred to last year when people were angry with Ferrari (in her words) "for bits flapping about", then she said FIA should have a female leader who can say (again, her words not mine): "shutup you bitch" to Williams and Spyker.

Obviously I disagreed with the idea of a female FIA president. She went on to tell me that if she were an F1 driver she would have a pink and purple helmet to stand out

You should tell your wife to get a fashion sense. Pink and Purple is a horrid combination.

You should tell your wife to get a fashion sense. Pink and Purple is a horrid combination.

You really know how to make friends, Ykick. :lol:

Well Ferrari aren't realy inocent ... think "poor measurements", "strange Honda-esque fuel tank" and flexi wings.

Wouldn't surprise me if it's true but it wouldn't surprise me If Ron was BS-ing again.

So hard to decide.

After last year's flexi-wing saga, it wouldn't surprise me is this is being done, and Ron isn't the kinda guy to just point fingers. If it is giving Ferrari an advantage, either it will be banned, or everyone else will copy it. If it gives them higher downforce in corners, it could theoretically have a pretty big impact on performance.

That last line made me laugh, it is usually Ferrari that get parts of other people's cars banned.

Does anyone know how much faster a F1 car will go with a system like this?

the real benefit of a system like this would be that you can strap more wing on the car but by getting the boost not loose speed due to the extra wing on the long straits and so by having the extra wing you can corner better.

I think this is just a stupid excuse from Ron because he cant accept that he was beaten even after he hired Mr. Alonso

After last year's flexi-wing saga, it wouldn't surprise me is this is being done, and Ron isn't the kinda guy to just point fingers. If it is giving Ferrari an advantage, either it will be banned, or everyone else will copy it. If it gives them higher downforce in corners, it could theoretically have a pretty big impact on performance.

That last line made me laugh, it is usually Ferrari that get parts of other people's cars banned.

It doesnt really sound like the kind of system a team could just put on their current cars. It sounds like a system which needs to be in mind when designing the car and thus i dont think other teams could use it this year.

I wouldn't think so. He didn't specifically mention Ferrari, and he is too professional to go on a mudslinging exercise.

it implies that the speed gains are in the corners, with extra downforce provided from the undertray of the car. i imagine very hard to quantify without direct side-by-side tests of identical cars...

actually it implies that the movable floor stalls the underbody air flow and reduced drag on the straights. which effectively allows the teams to run more wing to go faster in the corners. there is no noticeable straight line difference, except that you can faster in the straights with more wing.

actually it implies that the movable floor stalls the underbody air flow and reduced drag on the straights. which effectively allows the teams to run more wing to go faster in the corners. there is no noticeable straight line difference, except that you can faster in the straights with more wing.

If it is a passive device I think you are right, that is the way it should work.

It doesnt really sound like the kind of system a team could just put on their current cars. It sounds like a system which needs to be in mind when designing the car and thus i dont think other teams could use it this year.

Without more knowledge on how it works, thats a bit hard to guess at, but we will soon see either way

I would not put Ferrari into title after reading this. For time being all we can do is to wait and see. Concerning someone note about Ferrari getting others parts banned, last year issue was Mclaren doing from what i read actually. Ferrari went along with it because it hurt them a lot less than Renault.

If it is a passive device I think you are right, that is the way it should work.

Even if it's passive it does sound like ground effects and the last time I've cheched they were banned.

But still, who knows.

Even if it's passive it does sound like ground effects and the last time I've cheched they were banned.

But still, who knows.

Again, if it is as we suppose it is, it surely will be a sort of variation on the ground effect's theme. And it would be illegal (always, IF). I don't see the FIA penalizing Ferrai, anyways. i don't even see them banning it, to be frank.

Well it was McLaren that exposed the flexi-wings last year aswell...be funny if Ferrari came up with some new moving aero parts that the FIA tests cant detect then mcLaren expose them every year.

Flexi-wings where pretty basic and bold, this one sounds extremely clever...ground effects come in and revolutionises F1 and now the perfect compliment to it by deactivating it on a straight. Doubt they will allow it but I do genuinely like it.

I think it's clear that Ferrari are using a component that is making their car fast. Ron is probably just bitter because he hasn't got that component on his car.

I believe it's called a 'Kimi Raikkonen'.