Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cavallino

The God Delusion

No :glare:

It's the Root of All Evil documentary by Richard Dawkins.

I watched, I liked and I am looking forward to next week.

Dawkins was a little easily riled at times, which put those he interviewed on guard and prevented the free flow of their ideas.

Yeah it's a good program to watch. Certainly thought-provoking. But I don't think he does his opponents' arguments justice, even in his book "The God Delusion". I think he's philosophically naive, even though I agree with his conclusions.

Yeah it's a good program to watch. Certainly thought-provoking. But I don't think he does his opponents' arguments justice, even in his book "The God Delusion". I think he's philosophically naive, even though I agree with his conclusions.

This has picked my curiosity. Never heard of him nor about the book or the program so I am downloading buying with my hard earned money a copy of both ;)

I think Dawkins is bang on. I feel religion is at the crux of a lot of global and local problems.

Before I continue, I

This has picked my curiosity. Never heard of him nor about the book or the program so I am downloading buying with my hard earned money a copy of both ;)

Yeah! You should watch the program. I guess you could probably get the video on youtube? Actually the book isn't worth buying imho. If you want to know about religion there are much better books, like Robin le Poidevin's Arguing for Atheism. (It's more expensive though.) It's supposed to be a textbook on the philosophy of religion and hence, despite the title, it gives very fair explanations of all the arguments the author eventually dismisses.

I think Dawkins is bang on. I feel religion is at the crux of a lot of global and local problems.

Before I continue, I

Yeah! You should watch the program. I guess you could probably get the video on youtube? Actually the book isn't worth buying imho. If you want to know about religion there are much better books, like Robin le Poidevin's Arguing for Atheism. (It's more expensive though.) It's supposed to be a textbook on the philosophy of religion and hence, despite the title, it gives very fair explanations of all the arguments the author eventually dismisses.

Excellent post! :clap3: I have a similar background. I was brought in a Christian environment and although I never actually committed myself to believing, I kept going to Church even for several years at uni, to "keep an open mind". :lol: I think that people like us are often the most assertive of atheists, just like born-again Christians on the other side!

My view now is that religion is really intellectually bankrupt as it solves no intellectual problems. In science we propose theories only when they add to our understanding. For instance Quantum Mechanics is only useful because it gives predictions that we wouldn't have any other way. It is *not* just a story we use to pretend to "explain" something that we already knew happened. In other words we get out of the theory much more than we ever put in! That's what's amazing about science. By comparison, you can propose that God created the universe but what does that add to our understanding? What predictions does it give us that have ever been verified? What exactly about our existence makes sense after proposing that hypothesis that didn't make as much sense before? I have never heard these questions answered to my satisfaction.

But that's just religion as an abstract idea. Organised religion is even worse. In my quest to "keep an open mind" I visited loads of different Churches and very few ever had the same goal! In other words they only ever give one version of events and one opinion. If any university in the western world did that they would be shut down. Organised religion is anti-educational and anti-intellectual imho. Most great philosophers agree!

In case you don't know. God did'nt want religion, man created it. To God, it's all about the personal connection between the individual and Himself.

BTW, There's an interesting book called "The twilight of atheism". Can't remember the author, but apparently atheist's are a vanishing "specie", hope I did'nt put it too delicately. This guy was a hardcore atheist, a so-called "intelligent thinker". I would recommend you buy this book as it gives great insight's to the concept of God, and why He should exist, it also answers some of those questions you have Mr Murray Walker.

I don't care if it rains or freezes,

As long as I got my plastic Jesus,

Nailed to the dashboard of my car :whistling:

In case you don't know. God did'nt want religion, man created it. To God, it's all about the personal connection between the individual and Himself.

BTW, There's an interesting book called "The twilight of atheism". Can't remember the author, but apparently atheist's are a vanishing "specie", hope I did'nt put it too delicately. This guy was a hardcore atheist, a so-called "intelligent thinker". I would recommend you buy this book as it gives great insight's to the concept of God, and why He should exist, it also answers some of those questions you have Mr Murray Walker.

I started reading "The God Delusion" (your advise came too late, Muzza!). Maybe it is because I am and always have been an atheist, but it has failed to impress me too much so far. And sounds too much like Cav when he is trying to raise an argument! :lol:

Now that book you mention B-man, that one sounds more interesting! Good! now i have two books to read.

I started reading "The God Delusion" (your advise came too late, Muzza!). Maybe it is because I am and always have been an atheist, but it has failed to impress me too much so far. And sounds too much like Cav when he is trying to raise an argument! :lol:

Now that book you mention B-man, that one sounds more interesting! Good! now i have two books to read.

I thought you were getting the video??? If you did buy the video which website did you order from...*Poke* *Hint* *Poke*

:lol: I have a sneaky suspicion Cav is checking the info as he answers questions regarding that topic on TF1 forums

I thought you were getting the video??? If you did buy the video which website did you order from...*Poke* *Hint* *Poke*

The video is still downloading expected to be shipped in 2 to 4 days *cough* I just started to read the book (in .pdf)because it...er..was shipped sooner.

If god exists ,why did s/he(it??) create the universe? If god wanted to create the universe ,it means god also has desires/wants. Then how is god different from living creatures?

To hell with religion! To hell with god!

If god exists ,why did s/he(it??) create the universe? If god wanted to create the universe ,it means god also has desires/wants. Then how is god different from living creatures?

To hell with religion! To hell with god!

Maybe God invented the Universe, knew that we would work out that he has desires and then conclude that actually, we are all space dust.

I bet he's chuckling into his gammy white beard.

Actually, there is no God. It's official.

The video is still downloading expected to be shipped in 2 to 4 days *cough* I just started to read the book (in .pdf)because it...er..was shipped sooner.

From Where???

Wow this thread is so enlightening :rolleyes: ...you folks know a lot of stuff... like for instance some of you seem to think you know more than the 5.8 billion people on the planet who believe in a higher being of some sort.

with regards to religion... without religion most of us would still be picking our toes and would be completely unable to read or write. Like it or not religion is one of the very roots of civilisation.

I have known more than a few people who call themselves atheists, often younger people who have yet to experience enough of life to know much about anything, but hey....they read a book once and this guy...yeh he said some stuff...yeh and it was intelligent sounding and and so ...yeh I'm an atheist now....duh!

Ok.. I apologise for that last bit but I have heard this stuff so many times before that is becomes tiresome. It does not matter if you think there is a God or not. If God exists then God exists and nothing you or anyone else thinks about it will change that! We don't know very much at all, certainly not as much as we think we know. We don't even know if the stars are still in the sky! How can we say we know there is no higher being! Bloody arrogance, why don't we just stick to F1 around here.

Wow this thread is so enlightening :rolleyes: ...you folks know a lot of stuff... like for instance some of you seem to think you know more than the 5.8 billion people on the planet who believe in a higher being of some sort.

with regards to religion... without religion most of us would still be picking our toes and would be completely unable to read or write. Like it or not religion is one of the very roots of civilisation.

I have known more than a few people who call themselves atheists, often younger people who have yet to experience enough of life to know much about anything, but hey....they read a book once and this guy...yeh he said some stuff...yeh and it was intelligent sounding and and so ...yeh I'm an atheist now....duh!

Ok.. I apologise for that last bit but I have heard this stuff so many times before that is becomes tiresome. It does not matter if you think there is a God or not. If God exists then God exists and nothing you or anyone else thinks about it will change that! We don't know very much at all, certainly not as much as we think we know. We don't even know if the stars are still in the sky! How can we say we know there is no higher being! Bloody arrogance, why don't we just stick to F1 around here.

14. ARGUMENT FROM INTELLIGENCE

(1) Look, there's really no point in me trying to explain the whole thing to you stupid Atheists it's too complicated

for you to understand. God exists whether you like it or not.

(2) Therefore, God exists.

19. ARGUMENT FROM NUMBERS

(1) Millions and millions of people believe in God.

(2) They can't all be wrong, can they?

(3) Therefore, God exists.

32. ARGUMENT FROM SMUGNESS

(1) God exists.

(2) I don't give a crap whether you believe it or not; I have better things to do than to try to convince you morons.

60. ARGUMENT FROM INSECURITY

(1) We have gone to absolutely berserk lengths to establish that Atheists are laughable morons.

(1.5) Actually, we did so in the hopes of curing our own insecurities about theism but there's no chance in hell

we'll ever admit that.

(2) Therefore, Atheists are laughable morons.

63. ARGUMENT FROM HUMAN NECESSITY

(1) Atheists say that they don't need God.

(2) Which just goes to show that they need God.

81. ARGUMENT FROM INEVITABILITY

(1) I have proof that God exists.

(2) I won't bother to tell you what it is because, being Atheists, you would be hostile to the conclusion anyway.

101. ARGUMENT FROM AGNOSTICISM

(1) I don't know and you don't know either.

137. ARGUMENT FROM POSITIVE OUTCOME

(1) Even if God doesnt exist, it would be better if people believed He did.

33. ARGUMENT FROM META-SMUGNESS

(1) **** you.

Come on, there are still hundreds more you haven't used :D

Arguing with rabid theists is fun, they always make fallacious arguments from authority due to their age, intelligence or moral superiority, and they never ever make a credible argument so you are never faced with self doubt or a dilemma. Easy pickings :D

(1) Look, there's really no point in me trying to explain the whole thing to you stupid Atheists it's too complicated

(1) God exists.

(2) I don't give a crap whether you believe it or not; I have better things to do than to try to convince you morons.

(1) We have gone to absolutely berserk lengths to establish that Atheists are laughable morons.

(1.5) Actually, we did so in the hopes of curing our own insecurities about theism but there's no chance in hell

we'll ever admit that.

(2) I won't bother to tell you what it is because, being Atheists, you would be hostile to the conclusion anyway.

(1) **** you.

Arguing with rabid theists is fun, they always make fallacious arguments from authority due to their age, intelligence or moral superiority, and they never ever make a credible argument so you are never faced with self doubt or a dilemma. Easy pickings :D

:clap3:

(1) God exists.

we'll ever admit that.

(1) **** you.

could'nt wait to use those "arguments" eh..... I revel in your childish endevor :D

The same applies to science. Please can convince me the universe started with a big bang or better still, we come from apes. Please provide ample proof.

could'nt wait to use those "arguments" eh..... I revel in your childish endevor :D

The same applies to science. Please can convince me the universe started with a big bang or better still, we come from apes. Please provide ample proof.

Note to atheists - providing a picture of yourself does not count as ratified evidence. That goes especially to you, Andres - apes have hair.