Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insider

Today In F1

I've been following the sport long enough now to just accept that the summer break is just part of it. Sure, it is annoying, but equally, the longer the season is stretched out, the less time it seems when the old season ends and the new one starts.

Must have been bad back in the "good old days" where it finished in September and you wouldn't get anything again till about March or April. But then again, it didn't receive the same sort of publicity as it does now, so people probably didn't care too much.

[quote name='Peeweev' timestamp='1345453400' post='348913']
thats why you must get your wife into it! Mine didnt like F1 before we were married but know understands most the rules, all about drs, kers etc and can name lots of drivers (even refers to maldonado as "is that the idiot?"
[/quote]

She is not interested in F1 in the slightest. She knows the sport inside out because she has to in order to maintain a line of communication between us (as I tend to speak in F1);

1. Pulling a Pastor - falling over in a clumsy fashion, then blaming others or inanimate objects
2. JPM'd - Putting on pounds after the weekend
3. Seb off - Showing someone the finger

etc.

I reserve my energies for trying to persuade her to indulge in other pursuits. These invariably interest her just as much as F1 because they are also mainly loud, inappropriate, dirty and requested every fortnight as a minimum.

I reserve my energies for trying to persuade her to indulge in other pursuits. These invariably interest her just as much as F1 because they are also mainly loud, inappropriate, dirty and requested every fortnight as a minimum.

You clean THAT often?! ;)

And I think that you may start a whole new thread with refering to X as a ...

Wow, this is very revealing...

"It comes at an interesting time, as Ferrari refuse to downplay the rumour that they would like him back as Felipe Massa's replacement for 2013. "If we replaced Felipe," said a Ferrari insider, "we would need to be sure that the replacement would perform to a higher level than him and although there are several good young drivers we are considering, that certainty isn't there. In many ways Kimi would be the ideal solution; he is fast, experienced and un-political. Everyone at the team already knows how he works, they like him and Fernando would not have a problem to have him as team-mate. But there is a problem."

That problem is believed to be the less than friendly terms the relationship between Raikkonen and Ferrari President Luca di Montezemelo ended on when the Finn was paid off with one year of his contract still to run. In turn, those close to Kimi say he has vowed never to work with di Montezemelo again."

Really interesting, especially the bolded part...What do u guys think?

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/news/22058/7950499/The-timely-return-of-the-old-Kimi

I think Montezemelo is the kind of idiot Kimi wouldn't get on with :lol: Look how uncomfortable he looks with Luca during this interview after winning the championship:

If Kimi Räikkönen were available, and if you could sign him, you'd be stupid not to.

But I don't think he's available, and I really don't think Ferrari can sign him.

I'm of the mindset that they have to get rid of Felipe just to make a statement to everyone who works in that team that they are going for the WCC and you have to perform, and a statement that they aren't going to waste everyone's work on some guy who will throw it away.

I'm also of the mindset now, though I wasn't a few weeks ago, that they aren't going to get rid of Felipe.

We all know that Ferrari and Kimi did not part in the best of ways. But what we do not know is what does it means for each one of the parties. If the only problem for Kimi was Luca, I think that is a moot point now as LdM is not so involved in everyday operations now and I guess he is also not stupid so if they can hire Kimi, he would not reject him on personal grounds (the guy wants to become a politician for george's sake, I doubt he will veto a Kimi return)

If it is a case of not just LdM, but also that Kimi not liking the Ferrari culture, then there's no way the guy will leave poochie which was always known for being less intrusive in their "culture" than McLaren, Ferrari or RBR. Prospects in the long term for winning may be worse than at Ferrari (simply because Team Poochie cannot sustain a development war for as long as Ferrari can, even if now the black car seems a lot better than the reds)

My main objection about Kimi going to Ferrari would be that, even if Kimi consistently beats Alonso, he will never be #1 as long as Nando stays there. Why? Because I think Nando has won their hearts not just with his results. The guy speaks italian, he has a history of sharing prize money with his mechanics, he is talkative, he is succesful...Kimi can only compete as a succesful driver, if. Perhaps even some of them would rather prefer his taciturnal mood, but in a popularity contest inside the team I think Nando will always come on top. This could harm his motivation ("We were basically racing against Kimi" as Ron would put it) or, at least, will give Brad Kimi's fans an excuse when he gets his a## kicked by Nando :P

Seriously, I think they all know the perils and benefits involved in a Kimi return and also his relationship with Nando. If we heard something about 2007, I guess probably LdM, Nando, Kimi and SD have heard something about it too. I don't think Kimi and Nando would have a bad relationship. More probably they will have no relationship at all. For the record, Alonso and Lewis was a similar case. They were never friends and things went heated more than once between the two, but Alonso always made a point of saying that his actual issues were never with Lewis, but with Ron. We will never know what happened back then because Dennis also always makes a point of reminding that a non-disclosure agreement was made with Nando.

IMHO, Kimi and Nando are mature enough to handle the intra team battle. Ferrari guys will have no problem accepting Kimi back as he might not be Casper the Friendly Ghost like Felipinho, but I guess even that is not enough when you have to watch the car you put so much effort battling the Catterhams...

As for the "they like him" part. I don't know. I've read two versions: one that said that they liked him and one the famous line "Nando has already talked to us in one month more than other guys had done in their whole careers" (or something similar). As both versions are anonymous (and not even contradictory, maybe they liked Kimi but considered him too reserved) I cannot say anything too meaningful.

Hah, I read a funny story today on Der Spiegel about (among other things) Kimi's silence that Brad might enjoy ;). Freely translated (with the help of google):

"Räikkönen spoke so little when he was a child, that his parents got concerned and sent him to see a therapist. After half a day, he was sent back home with the note "Your son is above average intelligence, this could be the reason why he prefers to remain silent.""

In the article, it is also revealed that Kimi had a biking accident when he was five years old, severely damaging his vocal chords which never properly healed back, explaining the quiet squeaky tone of his voice.

Here's the complete article: http://www.spiegel.de/sport/formel1/grosser-preis-von-ungarn-kimi-raeikkoenen-faehrt-immer-staerker-a-847067.html

As for the "they like him" part. I don't know. I've read two versions: one that said that they liked him and one the famous line "Nando has already talked to us in one month more than other guys had done in their whole careers" (or something similar). As both versions are anonymous (and not even contradictory, maybe they liked Kimi but considered him too reserved) I cannot say anything too meaningful.

Yeah, but that could be interpreted in many ways, that could simply mean that he did'nt talk much but they were'nt concerned about it, or something like that... since Kimi is very precise in his feedback an all and does'nt need to suck up to anybodywhistling.gif

Hah, I read a funny story today on Der Spiegel about (among other things) Kimi's silence that Brad might enjoy wink.png. Freely translated (with the help of google):

"Räikkönen spoke so little when he was a child, that his parents got concerned and sent him to see a therapist. After half a day, he was sent back home with the note "Your son is above average intelligence, this could be the reason why he prefers to remain silent.""

In the article, it is also revealed that Kimi had a biking accident when he was five years old, severely damaging his vocal chords which never properly healed back, explaining the quiet squeaky tone of his voice.

Here's the complete article: http://www.spiegel.d...r-a-847067.html

laugh.png yeah, enjoyed that...thanksthbup.gif

Uknow, in real life I'm the Kimi type of person, I really don't talk much, maybe thats why I can relate and associate with him. I was always known as the quiet one (yeah, Andres is'nt the only one) in my family but it really did'nt bother me until I became an adult. Then a few years ago my friend noticed that I'm actually just lazy to talk. And when I thought about it I realized how right he was!!!! It bores the Sh#t out me to talk!!!

I can really work on my wife's nerves concerning this...

I can really work on my wife's nerves concerning this...

So it's not just me! My wife (who is American) is always yelling at me "Finns!!! How do you make them talk!"

I'm using some remedy and it appears my hair is growing back... don't want to get to optimistic there uknow

He didn't mean that area :whistling:

Massa sounds increasingly confident, said a few things in recent days about "knowing what he has to do" and thinking that he'll be able to stay with Ferrari at the end of this year.

Personally, with no disrespect to Felipe, I do think it is time for Ferrari to have a bit of change - there are other options other than Massa, and I think even anyone in Ferrari would have a hard job justifying why he was remaining with the team another year if that's what they did.

So it's not just me! My wife (who is American) is always yelling at me "Finns!!! How do you make them talk!"

Yelling? If she's American, that's just talking. :P

From another forum.

It was posted on Autosport forum before the mods removed it, there is more in the magazine apparently.

A0vTrUXCAAAQUgX.jpg

N3YKb.jpg

4CLAq.jpg

eTvrm.jpg

That's one of the ugliest layouts I've ever seen in a magazine. It looks like a Facebook timeline. I have no idea what order I'm supposed to read it in. No wonder print media's dead.

(That wasn't your point when sharing this, was it?) :P

That's one of the ugliest layouts I've ever seen in a magazine. It looks like a Facebook timeline. I have no idea what order I'm supposed to read it in. No wonder print media's dead.

(That wasn't your point when sharing this, was it?) tongue.png

Now that you talk about it I like the cover, the rest of the pictures are a bit gay.

The text is brilliant. whistling.gif

P.S.- You can read a bit more here and if someone has got the actual magazine could comment on it. Please?

Great. Did it come with a Fernando Alonso action figure? :P

I agree with Eric, the layout was horrible. The comments are very interesting indeed but hopelessly short and probably edited. I wish they would do so with more people, about more drivers and with a little more space for words and less for huge creepy pictures of the driver.

I quite like DC's comment.

Now that you talk about it I like the cover, the rest of the pictures are a bit gay.

The text is brilliant. whistling.gif

P.S.- You can read a bit more here and if someone has got the actual magazine could comment on it. Please?

I bought the magazine today - I'm quite an avid reader of F1 Racing, and yeah...I've no idea who produced that "image", but the magazine's actual layout is not like that at all. Put it this way, the two features in that are different pieces in the magazine.

Not yet read it, but both Fernando articles look like a good read. I can feed back to the forum if anyone's that interested, or more conveniently, you could go and buy it.

I bought the magazine today - I'm quite an avid reader of F1 Racing, and yeah...I've no idea who produced that "image", but the magazine's actual layout is not like that at all. Put it this way, the two features in that are different pieces in the magazine.

Not yet read it, but both Fernando articles look like a good read. I can feed back to the forum if anyone's that interested, or more conveniently, you could go and buy it.

No, I doubt I can go to the news agent and buy it in Spain. Never tried TBH but... Please comment on it and if I get the chance I'll buy it and comment too.

or more conveniently, you could go and buy it.

Conveniently? Certainly more ethically, but not necessarily conveniently if you're in strange foreign lands. It will take another month or two before that issue gets to the U.S., for example, and then it's a huge battle to try to find a place that sells it. No idea how distribution is elsewhere. I know a lot of Europeans are multilingual (because their language education actually makes sense, unlike here, where they try to teach it to you once you're a teenager by using useless translation that teaches you to just memorize things and think things out in English, then translate in your head...very useless, ineffective way to learn crap...though very humorous, too, when people translate English idioms into other languages only to find out that the idiom means nothing in another country tongue.png), but I do wonder how widely available English-language publications are when it's not the first language?

Or do they run the magazine through Babelfish before selling it elsewhere? Maybe that's why it gets to the U.S. late; they need to take out the "u" following the "o" and replace the "s" with a "z(ee, not ed)."

I have an issue with Alonso on the cover, though, from December 2005. I think he won an award or something. My grandmother asked who that nice man on the magazine was. tongue.png

As this is a catch-all thread, and we're talking about magazines anyway, I'll dump this here:

http://books.google.hr/books?id=twAAAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA118&lpg=PA118&dq=popular+science+formula+none&source=bl&ots=pe4_quth1N&sig=M_UFwOCtOVFDe37xdu3-PrMIxIE&hl=hr#v=onepage&q=popular%20science%20formula%20none&f=false

Saw it on another forum. I thought it was interesting, if not frustrating to read a magazine in that format instead of side-by-side pages. :P