Clicky

Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Autumnpuma

In Case Of Death....

Recommended Posts

Recent events* have got me thinking about something that I'd imagine rarely occurs to most people. If you die, do you have a system in place to inform your internet acquaintances that you've passed on? I, for one, have this forum, a few other forums, and a video game 'guild' that would probably be interested to know of my passing. Seems odd to think of this, but in today's internet-saturated world it's a bit of consideration we should attend to.

So, I've written down forums and passwords and chucked it into the metal box where I store all the other depressing items related to death.

*No, I'm fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's an interesting problem in modern society what with people forming relatively anonymous 'relationships' online; there is perhaps a good business opportunity there somewhere.

I often wonder where people disappear to on the different sites/games I use, in some ways it is maybe better not to know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recent events* have got me thinking about something that I'd imagine rarely occurs to most people. If you die, do you have a system in place to inform your internet acquaintances that you've passed on? I, for one, have this forum, a few other forums, and a video game 'guild' that would probably be interested to know of my passing. Seems odd to think of this, but in today's internet-saturated world it's a bit of consideration we should attend to.

So, I've written down forums and passwords and chucked it into the metal box where I store all the other depressing items related to death.

*No, I'm fine.

Yeah I've done the same.......................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe as a part of your will you write a final post / blog along with passwords and usernames, advising those cyber friends of your passing. This can then be posted to the relavent websites as part of the funeral service.

Btw glad to hear your fine Mike :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting thought Mike, and a good idea, there's many people we meet on forums that we might regard as 'net friends'.

It should be upbeat though, along the lines of;

Meds wanted you all to know he fell off his perch today, and I'm sure he was happy - he followed through with his final fart.

He also asked me to say, when you're all locked in a catastrophic ice-age sometime soon, he'll be laughing his spiritual c#ck off

Fcuk it, if I've not been here for a year, just re-publish that anyway :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recent events* have got me thinking about something that I'd imagine rarely occurs to most people. If you die, do you have a system in place to inform your internet acquaintances that you've passed on? I, for one, have this forum, a few other forums, and a video game 'guild' that would probably be interested to know of my passing. Seems odd to think of this, but in today's internet-saturated world it's a bit of consideration we should attend to.

So, I've written down forums and passwords and chucked it into the metal box where I store all the other depressing items related to death.

*No, I'm fine.

I've been thinking about it since the Erick scare adn I think it is a good idea that thing about the metal box, I'll see what I do about it, the way I drive my death could come anytime.

Well in case of my death, my wife, sons and friends must deal with the problem... I can´t help anymore!

:lol: yeah that's the best way to deal with the problem but I personally think it would be nice to let you know that you can not count on me anymore to delight you with my very insighful comments and posts :whistling:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I've written down forums and passwords and chucked it into the metal box where I store all the other depressing items related to death.

I find this very, very funny and quite hope you meant it as such... perhaps a joke about cats eating your corpse and being found half-eaten six weeks after your demise?

Another haiku comes to find (poor translations are entirely my fault):

Live, as you find it.

Death, too.

Why insist there is more to the whole thing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When my brother died, I just went in to his history...

Hard thing to do but its funny how strong friendships can be forged over the www.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are the friendships really that strong though? Are they even proper friendships? I tend to think in most cases probably not, I wonder if there is any sociological research into that, could be interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yey for happy times! :rolleyes:

I've made a few close acquaintances on the WWW over the past few years, so I guess a few people may want to know if anything did happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If any of you guys dissapeared without trace I would want to know if it was because you had died. I wonder about dudes like Bajo and Senna from here who could have quite conceivably died, we will never know.

On the subject of forging friendships over the internet and the question of its sincerity, I think it is entirely possible. It just depends on your defintion of friendship and whether that should always involve face to face interraction to validate it.

I currently have no mechanism in place to let my internet friends know of my demise. Needless to say, if I die in the meantime, I'll let you all know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thats a nice thought Steve. :unsure:

Close friends can be forged as can relationships. I met my ex on the interwebs, it was a real relationship that lasted quite a while. Its always good though to have a life away from it. The internet is just an addition, not an extension of my life.

But I've never met a finer bunch of interweb peoples such as your good selves. Even Chris. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the answer is to "die" and see if anyone notices - ask Eric :D

But I've never met a finer bunch of interweb peoples such as your good selves. Even Chris. :P

Yes it is possible to make friends online I've done it and friendships can last. Funny thing is how much of someone's personality you can pick from their online persona - I've met a few cyberbuddies and in the flesh they are remarkably like their online selves. I did do some work on this sort of thing as part of the degree I have been studying and there's a lot of scholarly research around "communities of practice" - Google that phrase and you will find some of the stuff out there.

But yes, you do occasionally meet the occasional pervert (you know who you are :) ) and the odd sword-wielding Xena-like maniac :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But yes, you do occasionally meet the occasional pervert (you know who you are :) ) and the odd sword-wielding Xena-like maniac :D

To single out me and Steph in this discussion was just a cheap shot, Chris.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the answer is to "die" and see if anyone notices - ask Eric :D

Lol!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To single out me and Steph in this discussion was just a cheap shot, Chris.

Yeah. I'm the one thats the pervert. :roll:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recent events* have got me thinking about something that I'd imagine rarely occurs to most people. If you die, do you have a system in place to inform your internet acquaintances that you've passed on? I, for one, have this forum, a few other forums, and a video game 'guild' that would probably be interested to know of my passing. Seems odd to think of this, but in today's internet-saturated world it's a bit of consideration we should attend to.

So, I've written down forums and passwords and chucked it into the metal box where I store all the other depressing items related to death.

*No, I'm fine.

Look Mike, all I need is your 1:18 scale model of that Mclaren..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So that makes Steve the chain-mail wearing, sword wielding, Xena lookalike :o:D

You should check him out on iwearteddybearsuitsattheweekend.com

:roll:

Now Steve's a big fella. So, I'll say goodbye to you all. Nice knowing you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...