Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

la force supreme des mclaren

Formula One Returns To The Bbc

Apart from Murray and Martin, and Murray and James before that, and no ad breaks, the BBC coverage really wasn't much good. Let's not get misty eyed. Jonathan Palmer anyone? Joining the race 4 laps in because the footy went into extra time? Not showing the race live because the tennis/snooker/golf was on? I'm not convinced yet.

when did Johnathon do that?

What race was it and what season?

Hmm, am I the only one who doesn't REALLY like Murray Walker? I mean he gets stuff wrong, he's just a less idiotic version of James Allen...

Hmm, am I the only one who doesn't REALLY like Murray Walker? I mean he gets stuff wrong, he's just a less idiotic version of James Allen...

The point is everyone knows he got things wrong but his passion made him loveable. We could see what he was getting wrong. It wasn't like he was telling us about things that we couldn't see for ourselves. For me it was like being respectful to an elderly relative; You wouldn't dare correct their mistakes to their face out of respect, especially as they mean no harm.

Something like that.

Murray was a mistake ridden relic in a world of insipid efficiency.

Good news, hope they do these things.

BBC promises to revolutionise F1 coverage

By Jonathan Noble Friday, March 21st 2008, 05:02 GMT

The BBC has promised to revolutionise the coverage of Formula One next season when the sport returns to the British broadcaster for the first time in 12 years.

The plans to use all the latest technology to redefine the way that F1 fans view the sport - which will include live streaming of the races on the internet and mobile phones, plus the possibility of races being broadcast in high definition.

Dominic Coles, the BBC's director of sports right, told the Times: "It will be the Martini approach to Grands Prix. You can watch it any time, any place, anywhere."

Coles has also said that the success of BBC's revamped Top Gear programme will be a major influence on the tone of their F1 coverage in 2009.

"When Lewis Hamilton did a test lap on Top Gear it got more viewers than the Brazilian Grand Prix," he explained. "Bernie (Ecclestone) was very impressed with the Top Gear proposition and there will be cross-fertilisation between the show and the races."

Veteran race commentator Murray Walker said he was amazed that the BBC had got the deal to cover F1.

"Well. I'm absolutely flabbergasted because ITV had a five-year contract and I think it's still got three years to run," he told the BBC.

"And to be honest I'm mystified about why it's moving from one to the other. But then I was a bit mystified in 1996 when it moved from the BBC to ITV.

"I think a lot of people are going to be very pleased - particularly the people who, understandably, don't like the Formula One coverage being broken by commercial breaks. That's going to be a big plus."

When asked if he would consider having a role with the BBC, he said: "Well, someone's got to ask me first of all. And there's no guarantee that that's going to happen. So we'll have to just wait and see."

But not everyone is impressed with the BBC deal.

Labour MP Andrew MacKinlay said in the House of Commons that the licence fee money used to pay for the deal should be directed at "real, competitive sports rather than the wealthy industry of Formula One".

Autosport

"When Lewis Hamilton did a test lap on Top Gear it got more viewers than the Brazilian Grand Prix," he explained. "Bernie (Ecclestone) was very impressed with the Top Gear proposition and there will be cross-fertilisation between the show and the races."

Are you joking me? I like top gear, but it's no longer about the cars, it's about the entertainment. It also draws a massive audience from people who don't have the first clue about cars but just watch it because it's "funny", then they go on about how good top gear is without having the first clue as to what 50% of its content is about, which p**ses me off. Is this going to happen to F1 as well?

Labour MP Andrew MacKinlay said in the House of Commons that the licence fee money used to pay for the deal should be directed at "real, competitive sports rather than the wealthy industry of Formula One".

I'm sorry, but WHAT?! Is F1 made up?! Are football and snooker are MORE competitive than F1? Football's not a wealthy industry?! What the hell do you want to see, hammer throwing?!

I'm sorry, but WHAT?! Is F1 made up?! Are football and snooker are MORE competitive than F1? Football's not a wealthy industry?! What the hell do you want to see, hammer throwing?!

I'd like to see that. Oh, sorry, I thought you said "hamster throwing"

I know, really. That money should go to me.

They may be wealthy industries, but at least they keep you awake. Well, sort of. What the hell snooker is, I don't know, but soccer's pretty good in moderation.

Anyway, I heard Murray Walker babble (as in not commentate) once in my life during a Grand Prix Weight Loss Program...I mean Grand Prix Masters...parade that nothing happened during, and god dammit he was terrible. I'd rather listen to that NASCAR s##t than him. Blech.

Haha, yeah I guess so... but still, I'd rather have someone with passion who gets it right!

Like a girl i once knew......

Are you joking me? I like top gear, but it's no longer about the cars, it's about the entertainment. It also draws a massive audience from people who don't have the first clue about cars but just watch it because it's "funny", then they go on about how good top gear is without having the first clue as to what 50% of its content is about, which p**ses me off. Is this going to happen to F1 as well?

My thoughts precisely. No 'Top Gear style' dumbing down please.

Bring on the motor-home racing! lol

I'd like to see that. Oh, sorry, I thought you said "hamster throwing"

No..no...no...they mean Top Gear cross fertilisation, so that would be (Richard) Hamster (Hammond) throwing :D

2 massive upsides to this, in my view:

1 - no more bloody Steve Rider, the most boring presenter in history. Mark Blundell is excellent at making me go to sleep too

2 - No more advertising breaks! Wahooooooooo thats by far the best bit about this whole thing

But, I do worry that BBC will make the pre-race show a lot shorter, cos on sundays they usually cram in lots of athletics, tennis etc.

Also, in the summer the BBC is full of wimbledon for 2 weeks - where is F1 going to fit in? We will see. I just hope they show races live and have a decent pre-race show which isn't 95% about Lewis Hamilton.

And I'm worried about Martin Brundle losing his job. Surely BBC will see sense and ensure that he's on the commentary team. As for James Allen, I couldnt care less if BBC don't recruit him. He's an excellent F1 journalist and should stick to that

I don't want the F1 dumbing down either, but it's rumoured that the BBC are after Richard Hammond for commentary...what exactly does he know about racing or a complex sport like Formula One?

I suppose whoever they get won't be too bad, if they get Brundle or Edwards alongside.

As long as Martin remains I will be happy. But I like the ITV coverage minus the add breaks! I expect the BBC will follow ITV's lead with a good pre and post race show, or at least they better do!

Oh and Hammond or any of the top gear lot would be awful as F1 commentators. Hammond doesn't even follow the sport!

I hope they get someone with an extreme Southeastern US accent. Just to p**s everyone off.

Get rid of everything that ITV does.

Delighted about this news, TopGear really is my favourite show, ever.

I wouldn't mind seeing the TG team just completely dominate it, tbh.

---

Just hope we see the end of James Allen. Coulthard commentating would be good.

Oh and Hammond or any of the top gear lot would be awful as F1 commentators. Hammond doesn't even follow the sport!

That's what is said on the show but I bet he does actually. It's just one of the little jokes like calling RAF, a bunch of plane enthusiast or when he thought Jackie Stewart was a woman (in fact he did mention about him few times in the older episodes so he knew very well who JS is).

btw. I'm really stunned about this commercial breaks... Even in polish TV that covers F1 there are no adverts during the race (only short ones between qualifying sessions) and normally when you I'm watching a movie on it the advert break is so long that's really easy to forget what I've been watching in the first place...

We have the worst commentary in the world though... :{

A little off-topic,but I think it's not worth a thread...

It's a question for the Spaniards:

Does anyone of you know if it's true that they're moving F1 from Tele5 to La Sexta?If so,when?Would they change the commentators?

Hammond is MUCH more of a bike person than a car person (despite being on a car programme!), so to me, it seems pretty true that he doesn't follow F1

David Coulthard could still be a fixture of the formula one paddocks next year, even if he is no longer on the grid. The Scot, who is the oldest active driver in F1, is adamant that his racing days are not nearing an end, even after thirteen years and 13 grand prix wins.