Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jenson_Rules

2006 Predictions

Well I think I've seen enough of the 2006 contenders in pre season testing to make a sufficient post regarding my predictions for the 2006 F1 season. I warn you that some of my predictions, which I am most serious about, will more than likely cause both myself and certain drivers to come in for alot of ridicule, but I stand by everything I'm about to say, after all these are just predictions. I won't be placing teams and drivers in any order, except to say who I think will win the respective titles and teammate wars. I apologise for the length. So here goes.

Mild Seven Renault F1 Team

Champions in both the WDC and WCC in 2005, I expect more of the same in 2006. Renault look to have the best car out there from what I have seen in pre season testing. They're quick and reliable, and have two of the better drivers in F1 at the moment in their c#ckpits. I expect Alonso to keep his roll going from 2005 and strongly challenge for the title, and he is my early prediction for World Driver's Champion. Last year showed he is not only quick enough to challenge for the title, but he is a very intelligent driver, Imola an example. As for his teammate, I expect Fisichella to have a better year than last. This car was developed with his input and he should be testing more towards the year when they gradually freeze Alonso out due to his move to McLaren. I expect him to be alot closer to Alonso, and could be an outside chance for the title if he can get the jump on Alonso early, and keep his momentum going. I predict Renault to win the 2006 World Constructor's Championship

McLaren-Mercedes

I really have no idea what type of performance McLaren will put out in 2006 as testing has seen the odd flash of speed littered by engine failures. They're either going to have another MP4-20 (fast but fragile) or another MP4-19 (slow and fragile) by all indicators. Kimi and Juan Pablo may be two of the more frustrated drivers (at times frustrating too in terms of Juan Pablo) on the grid. McLaren is a team which prides itself on victories and excellence, yet we've seen goodness knows how many Mercedes engine go kaboom in pre season testing alone. I really cannot split Kimi and Juan Pablo. I believe Kimi is the better driver of the two as he isn't prone to making as many mistakes as JPM makes, but I believe JPM is quicker. Motivation will play a big role in who wins out here. If the car is a fizzer, Kimi could lose focus and just pick up points and the odd win here and there. We know one of the drivers, maybe both could be on the way out in 2007, so they should see this as an incentive to shine, especially in JPM's case, as many believe Kimi is already off to Ferrari. I predicts wins for both drivers, but they won't challenge for the titles. I expect JPM to beat Kimi, if he cuts out his rate of mistakes, but it'll be close.

Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro

Noone could have predicted the slide in form of the team in 2005. From utter domination the previous years to pretty much also rans in '05. The car looks OK, better than the F2005 but is behind Renault and Honda and could be just off the pace of a couple more teams. They're trying out a new aero package in Bahrain this week so that could give them the gain they are looking for. In Michael Schumacher they have one of the great's of the sport. His motivation looks to be very high and he still has what it takes to show the young chargers a thing or two. I believe his best is past him, however his best was so far greater than his counterparts that even at this stage in his career, he's a force. If he has the machinery, he may challenge for one last title, but I don't expect him to, but he may win the odd race or two. Out goes Rubens Barrichello and in comes Felipe Massa who impressed me last year. He has certainly improved from his very ragged early years and was very consistent and quick at Sauber last year, he should score his first podium, but not a win I believe. He'll do well if he's consistently within .5 or so to Michael and scoring points on a consistent basis. 2 or 3 wins at best is what I predict for Ferrari. Michael will beat Massa.

Panasonic Toyota Racing

Toyota brought their 2006 contender out in time for December testing and at the time pretty much dominated, but they've now been brought back to the pack. They've got a new aero package and plan to introduce a brand new car in time for Monaco, so predicting how this team will go is very hard. As we all know, Jarno Trulli is one of the best qualifiers on the grid and improved his race pace in '05, whilst Ralf on his day is a very good driver, but those days are too few and far between for him to be considered a challenger for the title. I predict Jarno Trulli to score Toyota's first win in 2006, but I only see them winning one. Jarno will beat Ralf this year.

Williams-Cosworth

Williams had a shocking year in 2005. An at times quick, but usually sluggish car mixed in with a year of politics between team and engine manufacturer had all the ingredients of a difficult year. This year they've got a seemingly good car and a driver line up which has alot to prove. Mark Webber, like Trulli, is a great qualifier, but isn't that good a racer. His pace isn't consistantly quick, and he lacks racecraft in my opinion. He's got a lot to prove this year and needs to destroy Rosberg just to keep up the reputation he has at the moment I believe. Out goes Nick Heidfeld who is replaced by GP2 Champion Nico Rosberg, son of 1982 champion Keke. I think Nico is a great talent and is one for the future alongside the likes Kovalainen, Hamilton etc. He's a very smart driver whose racecraft was evident in his second last to first win at Monza in GP2. He really doesn't have much to lose, but I don't expect him to fly off into walls and gravel traps at an alarming rate like some rookies. He'll gradually ease himself into the team and the sport itself and should be faring respectably come the end of the year. I see this team as a bit of a smokie in the first few races of the year. The Cosworth engine probably the best out there at the moment and need to make hay whilst the sun shines. They'll eventually be overtaken by the manufacturer teams once development kicks in so Williams, most likely Webber may end up with 2 or 3 podiums early on. I don't see this team winning any races, but Webber should podium early on and beat Rosberg this year.

Lucky Strike Honda F1 Racing Team

I predict Honda to fight for the WCC against Renault going on their testing results. They seem to have cured some of the problems last year's car had and now have two very good drivers in the team. Jenson Button will win multiple races this year, and could challenge for the WDC as he is known to be a very consistent driver, whose style should suit this generation of car. Sure he'll be under alot of pressure to win, but that's the true test of a racer, seeing how he handles himself and the situation under pressure. In bringing Rubens Barrichello in for Takuma Sato, Honda really ought to be challenging for the WCC as he will have the motivation to challenge for wins after leaving Ferrari. He'll be Button's biggest challenge since he took on Villeneuve in 2003 and his experience will be invaluable. Button needs to up his game if he is to beat Rubens however as he is about two or three levels above Sato, but I believe he is super comfortable in the team and has the speed, but more, the consistency to beat Rubens, but it'll be close. Button will edge Rubens out and score multiple wins (3 or 4)

Red Bull Racing - Ferrari

The surprise team of 2005 will have trouble matching their feats of last year I feel. The car has encountered numerous cooling problems in testing so far, but a new aero package seems to have eradicted that problem. In David Coulthard and Christian Klein, they have a great mixture of experience and youth. DC was one of the drivers of last year, but he'll be challenged more strongly by Klein this year. Klein really wasn't in an environment whereby his full potential could be shown with the whole driver swap thing as he hardly knew when he'd be racing sometimes. David will beat Klein however as his experience will show through, but I don't see this team as more than midfield contenders, but DC may podium with a little luck. It will be interesting to see how they cope with the complicated electronics associated with the Ferrari engine.

BMW-Sauber F1 Team

This team will surprise alot of people this year, and for obvious reasons, is one that I will keep most attention on through the season. Testing so far has shown the F1.06 to be a big improvement over the C24. The car and engine package has run reliably, with only minor issues, and has been relatively quick and very respectable. Their driver lineup will be one to keep an eye on this year. Nick Heidfeld replaces Felipe Massa and should continue his good form from 2005. He's a quiet guy but a very hard worker who finally got the big break he deserves. His teammate is of course, the 1997 World Champion Jacques Villeneuve. This is one driver with it all to prove in 2006. Let's be honest, only the odd expert or two, and his ever loyal army of fans worldwide believe in Jacques, but now is the time to perform. There are no excuses whatsoever this year. The car suits him, the regulations suit him, he's testing a lot and the team seems to be supporting him. This could be the year of redemption for Jacques. I don't believe he has to destroy Nick to remain with the team in 2007, but if, by the end of the year, he is at worst 3 or 4 points behind Nick (barring any major reliability issues ala 2003), he should retain his seat. I predict Jacques to score a podium or two this year. He may not have the outright speed of his previous years, but his experience will be vital (Spa 2005 for instance). His car control is right up there with the best of them and he is a very good racer. If he takes his chances, he'll shine. Can the team win? I believe it can. It will probably be a one off and will come with a little luck, but from what I've seen, they'll be quick enough to pick up the pieces if the big teams falter. I predict Jacques will edge Nick. Both will podium at least once, and a win isn't out of the question, for either driver.

Midland F1 - Toyota

I predict this team to be at the back of the pack. In Tiago Monteiro and Christijan Albers, brought in to replace Narain Karthikeyan, they've got a good mixture of speed and consistency. They may score the odd point or two, but not much else. I think Albers will beat Montiero, as although Tiago is very consistent and will bring the car home, Albers is the quicker of the two and although not as consistent as Tiago, he's consistent enough.

Squadra Toro Rosso

The former Minardi team continues its tradition of employing young drivers. Liuzzi and Speed seem to be a good duo. Liuzzi failed to impress in '05 but really wasn't given a chance through the driver swap thing, so I'll reserve judgement on him. As for Speed, if he beats Liuzzi, then he could be the real deal. They'll be backmarkers but could score points on the odd occasion and may surprise at Monaco with the V10 engine. I cannot split the two drivers.

Super Aguri Honda

Not too sure what to predict about the team. They'll definitely struggle early on with their current car, but could surprise when they introduce their new car. If Sato learns from his disastrous 2005 then he could earn back some respect as he is quick at times. As for Ide, he'll do well to not throw the car into walls, gravel traps, other cars etc and be within .5 or so to Takuma, but I expect he'll be relegated to Friday driver and Davidson will take over once the new car comes in. Sato should destroy Ide through him being alot more experience, and in turn if Davidson comes in, I expect him to beat Sato.

So there it is. In sum, I have predicted Renault and Honda to fight for the WCC with Renault coming out victorious and for Alonso to win the WDC, but will be challenged by his teammate and one or both Honda drivers. I expect wins from Toyota, McLaren and perhaps Ferrari, whilst podiums should come the way of BMW Sauber and Williams, with a win possible for the former. I'll be the first to stand up accept the proverbial egg on the face if these predictions turn out pearshaped, no problems with that.

I think this is going to be a good year for fans of Jenson Button and Jacques Villeneuve. One final thing though, and probably the one thing I'll come in for criticism for and is the one prediction I'm really putting my hopes on.

When this is over, alot of people are going to owe Jacques Villeneuve an engraved apology.

BMW-Sauber F1 Team

. This is one driver with it all to prove in 2006. Let's be honest, only the odd expert or two, and his ever loyal army of fans worldwide believe in Jacques, but now is the time to perform. There are no excuses whatsoever this year. .

:huh: Pat symonds,bstone guys,Honda engineers are an "odd expert"(i think this season you can add michelin guys,sauber engineers and Dr Mario to that list of people having a wrong impression but coming across an "intelligent,"hardworking,talented CHAMPION Driver :wink2::wink2: :wink2: ;) )

and the smear campaign by a "nationalist" press,just to make their golden boy look great is enough for you to believe that only an odd expert "believes " in him :o

and the smear campaign by a "nationalist" press,just to make their golden boy look great is enough for you to believe that only an odd expert "believes " in him

Of course the team are behind him and some members of the F1 fraternity are backing him to do well. My point was that he's been written off by most, but not all, media pundits and alot of other people in F1 at the moment. I stand by what I said.

excellent predictions/analysis shaun. And i agree with nearly all of it (I think nick will just shade jv by a couple of points)

McLaren-Mercedes

I really have no idea what type of performance McLaren will put out in 2006 as testing has seen the odd flash of speed littered by engine failures. They're either going to have another MP4-20 (fast but fragile) or another MP4-19 (slow and fragile) by all indicators. Kimi and Juan Pablo may be two of the more frustrated drivers (at times frustrating too in terms of Juan Pablo) on the grid. McLaren is a team which prides itself on victories and excellence, yet we've seen goodness knows how many Mercedes engine go kaboom in pre season testing alone. I really cannot split Kimi and Juan Pablo. I believe Kimi is the better driver of the two as he isn't prone to making as many mistakes as JPM makes, but I believe JPM is quicker. Motivation will play a big role in who wins out here. If the car is a fizzer, Kimi could lose focus and just pick up points and the odd win here and there. We know one of the drivers, maybe both could be on the way out in 2007, so they should see this as an incentive to shine, especially in JPM's case, as many believe Kimi is already off to Ferrari. I predicts wins for both drivers, but they won't challenge for the titles. I expect JPM to beat Kimi, if he cuts out his rate of mistakes, but it'll be close.

:errrrrr:

2005 PF1 Team Mate Comparison

Kimi did much better than JPM in every measurable statistic.

Furthermore, as I mentioned in another thread. Kimi got 10 fastest laps this season which is an absolute all-time F1 record in a single season*. He is clearly the faster of the two McLaren team-mates.

*Shared with MS.

Yes I know all the stats and the like, but I honestly believe JPM has more raw speed than Kimi, but has a much tougher job translating that speed into consistent results, hence why Kimi seems to be smashing him. By the end of last year, JPM was matching Kimi in pretty much all departments, except he was still making silly mistakes. If his rate of mistakes decreases, it will translate into results.

Sure Fastest Laps are a good indicator of speed, however Senna, who I believe to be the quickest driver of all time (for raw speed) isn't head of the Fastest Lap list of all time. Further, with the two race engine rule, some drivers aren't able to go full throttle all the time so as to conserve the engine.

I think nick will just shade jv by a couple of points)

It really could go either way, but it'll be close whatever the result I believe.

JPM partnering Kimi was a great thing for F1 imo. The pasting the columbian knew he would get has finally persuaded him to exercise and dedicate himself to the job. Thus far however Kimi has done by far the better job and hence is undoubtedly the better driver. Regarding raw pace its difficult to say who's best but the differences between the top drivers are so small that consistency and delivery are far more important imho and I'm far from convinced JPM can cut down his error-rate.

Hmm. On reflection I'd probably bet Kimi is slightly quicker on raw pace too but any difference is masked by the vast number of mistakes the columbian makes.

That's the problem I face trying to argue my opinion. JPM could be a major force if he cuts out his rate of errors, but like you, I'm not too sure he can, I mean, this is his 6th year in F1, you'd think he'd have cut his error rate by now.

although i dint like him and think kimi is better, JPM could be better IF he cut out all his mistakes. I still dislike both of them but they are fascinating to watch on track.

although i dint like him and think kimi is better, JPM could be better IF he cut out all his mistakes. I still dislike both of them but they are fascinating to watch on track.
Hey J_R, am a newbee to this forum so I haven't been thru the early threads and I am not familiar w/ who's siding w/ w/c team/drivers and why. I hope you don't mind enlightening me on why you don't like the two.

Williams-Cosworth

Mark Webber, like Trulli, is a great qualifier, but isn't that good a racer. His pace isn't consistantly quick, and he lacks racecraft in my opinion. He's got a lot to prove this year and needs to destroy Rosberg just to keep up the reputation he has at the moment I believe. Out goes Nick Heidfeld who is replaced by GP2 Champion Nico Rosberg, son of 1982 champion Keke. I think Nico is a great talent and is one for the future alongside the likes Kovalainen, Hamilton etc. He's a very smart driver whose racecraft was evident in his second last to first win at Monza in GP2. He really doesn't have much to lose, but I don't expect him to fly off into walls and gravel traps at an alarming rate like some rookies. He'll gradually ease himself into the team and the sport itself and should be faring respectably come the end of the year.

CDc update:Rosberg slams into DC in the pitllane while DC passes the Willy garage while exiting the pits..

the impact is huge

dc loses contact with ground as the car is air borne...(redbull not impressed,)

williamsredbull1.jpg

(the program of both teams are ruined for the day both completed 3 laps bfore the incident,remarkable considering today was one of the better days as the track temp touched 25C)

an f1 rookie is a rookie is a rookie ,period

The myriad statistics available for the 2005 season all conspicuously show that Kimi is the faster driver in every facet of Grand Prix racing: qualifying, fastest race laps, race finishing position, point tallies etc. I am amazed people dispute this and claim that JPM is faster. JPM makes a lot of mistakes*, yes, and that is the reason he only scored 60 points in the 2005 WDC when his team-mate managed nearly double that tally.

*JPM

Exactly. I do think JPM will improve a lot but I'm rather skeptical whether he'll cut out enough mistakes over the season to give Kimi a real test as I believe Alonso would.

Indeed. JPM should be praised for improving his fitness though

CDc update:Rosberg slams into DC in the pitllane while DC passes the Willy garage while exiting the pits..

the impact is huge

dc loses contact with ground as the car is air borne...(redbull not impressed,)

williamsredbull1.jpg

(the program of both teams are ruined for the day both completed 3 laps bfore the incident,remarkable considering today was one of the better days as the track temp touched 25C)

an f1 rookie is a rookie is a rookie ,period

Even veterans can cause stupid accidents,certainly not only the rookies....I am one of those who prefer talent over experience...take Williams for example: they have Webber,but so far he has shown nothing.Maybe next year he'll beat Nico easily thanks to his experience,but in the future Nico would be much more useful for Williams than Mark...

Latest Odds

WDC

K Raikkonen 9/4

Michael Schumacher 5/2

F Alonso 11/4

J P Montoya 7/1

J Button 12/1

R Barrichello 14/1

G Fisichella 16/1

F Massa 25/1

Ralf Schumacher 40/1

J Trulli 40/1

M Webber 50/1

N Rosberg 66/1

D Coulthard 80/1

N Heidfeld 125/1

J Villeneuve 150/1

C Klien 150/1

T Sato 200/1

Y Ide 500/1

V Liuzzi 500/1

T Monteiro 500/1

S Speed 500/1

C Albers 500/1

WCC

Mc Laren 7/4

Renault 5/2

Ferrari 5/2

Honda 11/2

Toyota 14/1

Williams 20/1

B M W Sauber 66/1

Red Bull Racing 80/1

Toro Rosso 200/1

Super Agurri 200/1

Mf1 200/1

So the fact JB and the Renaults have dominated testing means nothing does it? LOL. It always puzzles me where they get these odds from.

Thats not very nice to wish a driver failure. DO you know what I would like? To see Raikonnen not win one race cos his mclaren fails every race, how wonderful will that be eh?

:welcome: back Raikkonen_rulez, ready for the season? Ben she's just stating her opinon, no harm no foul :D

saying you'd like someone not to win is not an opinion. Its just jumping aboard the anti-Button bandwagon. In 2006 the wagon is going to crash and all its riders are going to fall out onto the ground with a big bump, and I'll stand over them laughing and saying I told you so

This is not meant as a criticism of other people's posting so please don't take it that way. BUT I do think that little attention is being paid to predictions beyond the first 2 races (in fact that's not even a real criticism at all so if you are offended then grow up) :-)

Yes Renault, honda and McLaren all look great for Bahrain. Ferrari have stated they don't expect to win but would like to pick up some points. I think these first two races will be crucial for them even if they don't pick up any wins; they believe that their car has great 'potential' for the season and I am inclined to think they maybe right. Do remember that McLaren wasn't the quickest at the start of '05 but just take a look at what happened there.

So the difference could be that if Ferrari don't get at least 20 or so points from the first two races then by the time (if they even do at all) start winning races they might just be too far behind in the standings.

Renault however are fast now and will only improve. Honda looks to have done an incredible job in the off season and it is now up to see if three things go their way; reliability, improvements and one of their drivers pulling off a couple of blinders. McLaren need only to race half as quick as last year to be a championship contender. But they need to finish twice as many races.

Well it's not going to rain in Bahrain (that's for sure) but perhaps a few 'wet' ones will appear and if history is anything to be gone by Bridgestone should still enjoy an advantage. In normal weather Fernando Alonso is adamant that Michelin still have the edge but personally I will refrain from making that judgement until the first two races have passed. It is then that a complete 'review' should be attempted.

Oh and as an aside I think a large point of contention will be the lap times these V8's will rack up; I think that the early testing suggestion of 3-5 seconds slower is rubbish. Expect the top teams to be under 3 seconds at least and perhaps even only 2 seconds off. Power may have dropped but the tyre changes will offset that along with the other aerodynamic and clutch improvements seen in the off season.

ONLY 3 MORE DAYS TILL FIRST FRIDAY TEST

BOO-YA

saying you'd like someone not to win is not an opinion. Its just jumping aboard the anti-Button bandwagon. In 2006 the wagon is going to crash and all its riders are going to fall out onto the ground with a big bump, and I'll stand over them laughing and saying I told you so

and when we just keep driving all over jenson and he is the one that crashes and burns, ill laugh even louder then i have been for the last 6 years and 102 races :lol::rofl::roll:

and when we just keep driving all over jenson and he is the one that crashes and burns, ill laugh even louder then i have been for the last 6 years and 102 races :lol::rofl::roll:

With all this attention given to Jenson Button, lets not forget someone i've really got a weird feeling about....his teammate...Barrichello! Although upstaged by THE MAN schumacher most of the times, there were periods were Schumacher had to run around looking at Barrichello's telemetry, stealing from Barrichello's setup etc etc etc... My guess is Barrichello faded away the last two years because his motivation factor was extremely low. My fellow F1 fanatic friends....WATCH BARRICHELLO!