Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eric

What's More Exciting?

(Holy crap! 3 posts in 1 day! This is a miracle!)

I've always wondered what people would find exciting in Formula 1 racing. Three options:

Option A: The Obvious Choice

An F1 with lots of battling for the lead and overtakes, almost any driver can win on any given day, 6-8 different winners per year.

Option B: The Usual

F1 exactly as is, some years better than others, not a lot of overtaking beyond mid-pack, 2 dominant teams.

Option C: The Fanboy's Dream

Your favorite driver winning every single race, but doing so in very boring fashion (winning by 20 seconds, no overtaking in the race at all, big parade)

Option D: The Fanboy's Nightmare

Your least favorite driver wins every race, BUT, does so in the most exciting way possible with a lot of overtaking, strategy, and drama (basically option A, but without the 6-8 different winners)

So, what is and isn't exciting for you?

For me, in order from best to worst:

1: Option A

2: Option D

3: Option B

4: Option C

I've always wondered what people would find exciting in Formula 1 racing. Three options:

An F1 with lots of battling for the lead and overtakes, almost any driver can win on any given day, 6-8 different winners per year.

F1 exactly as is, some years better than others, not a lot of overtaking beyond mid-pack, 2 dominant teams.

Your favorite driver winning every single race, but doing so in very boring fashion (winning by 20 seconds, no overtaking in the race at all, big parade)

Your least favorite driver wins every race, BUT, does so in the most exciting way possible with a lot of overtaking, strategy, and drama (basically option A, but without the 6-8 different winners)

A for sure. Even if Lewis was the one winning and smashing Schuey's 7 world record It would still make it boring again!!

I want Lewis to win every race but kept on his toes the whole way. If not lets make sure there is a battle for that covted WC!!

2 women and a large helping of baby oil?

Sorry, typing tourettes - A, I meant.

>

^ In 101 years of GP/F1 racing, option A never happened, and will never happen.

Option B is only half correct, as there is a zig-zag between 1 team dominating and 2, maybe even 3 teams, battling it out.

You forgot option E, your favorite team(s) wins but you dislike/downright hate their drivers.

Happened to me from 93 to 97 and from 2000 onwards (except for 05/06 when I also liked the driver) as Williams-Renault and Benetton-Renault won tough to see the likes of Prost, Senna and Schumacher in Renault powered cars was horrible, and nor Hill, Villenuve, DC, Herbert were favorites of mine.

Anyone who chose A should be watching CCWS.

D would be good.

And I hardly ever agree with DOF, but this time I do.

Options a & c (a little bit from column a and a little bit from column c):

(From point A) Almost any driver can win on any given day with (from point c) your favorite driver winning every single race.

;)

D would be good.

Which is why I'm sleeping in an extra hour to watch Champ Car at Zolder and not F1 at Turkey.

Can't say I blame you. It got really popular over here in 92, for obvious reasons, and then faded away again.

Even though i want my 2 favorite drivers to win in the most dominating fashion possible, i'd porbabily go with choice A

I think the sport needs elements of all in order to put things into perspective. 'The usual' will always prevail but we need periods of 'Fanboy's Dream'. For me, Michael's dominance was a pleasure to watch, not a bore, although i fully appreciate why it would have been for the majority. I'm just pleased that i was around to watch history being made by his spell at the top.

I think that you need these periods in order for the heroes to be created and to have their legacy cemented. It also raises the bar and creates an aspirational element for up and coming drivers. They will always want to beat the man of the moment.

As long as the show below is still interesting, i don't believe it does any harm atall.

A for me.

I just finished watching a heat of the Australian Rally Championship, and I am not a real rally fan but this was intriguing.

Heat 1 the winner was .59 seconds ahead of place 2

Heat 2 both those driver won sections , lost sections, etc but at the end of the day the winning margin over 2 days racing on dirt and tarmac was 1.1 seconds.

Both drivers were elated with their own performance but the camera views showed they were both driving 11/10ths all the time just to beat the unknown time of their rival. To me I am a convert to Rally, sure the S...t beats watching the repitition of F1

I think the sport needs elements of all in order to put things into perspective. 'The usual' will always prevail but we need periods of 'Fanboy's Dream'. For me, Michael's dominance was a pleasure to watch, not a bore, although i fully appreciate why it would have been for the majority. I'm just pleased that i was around to watch history being made by his spell at the top.

I think that you need these periods in order for the heroes to be created and to have their legacy cemented. It also raises the bar and creates an aspirational element for up and coming drivers. They will always want to beat the man of the moment.

As long as the show below is still interesting, i don't believe it does any harm atall.

I can see what you're saying, but I disagree. Yeah, you will get periods like 2000-2004 where Michael was just dominant and that does make people legends, but for me, I find those eras to be boring. Senna's considered the best to ever live by many, and he didn't have a 5-year streak of winning championships and winning everything. The beginning of 2006 was awful for me, even though I was supporting Fernando, I was just sick of him winning. It was becoming routine and boring.

And for me, the usual will not always prevail. Which is why I find myself not being able to get into F1 anymore.

A for me.

I just finished watching a heat of the Australian Rally Championship, and I am not a real rally fan but this was intriguing.

Heat 1 the winner was .59 seconds ahead of place 2

Heat 2 both those driver won sections , lost sections, etc but at the end of the day the winning margin over 2 days racing on dirt and tarmac was 1.1 seconds.

Both drivers were elated with their own performance but the camera views showed they were both driving 11/10ths all the time just to beat the unknown time of their rival. To me I am a convert to Rally, sure the S...t beats watching the repitition of F1

Yeah, never got to see rally, American TV has something against it I suppose. But similarly, I haven't watched Champ Car since it was called CART in 2002, but I decided to watch Mexico 2006 and I've been addicted since.

I can see what you're saying, but I disagree. Yeah, you will get periods like 2000-2004 where Michael was just dominant and that does make people legends, but for me, I find those eras to be boring. Senna's considered the best to ever live by many, and he didn't have a 5-year streak of winning championships and winning everything. The beginning of 2006 was awful for me, even though I was supporting Fernando, I was just sick of him winning. It was becoming routine and boring.

And for me, the usual will not always prevail. Which is why I find myself not being able to get into F1 anymore.

Yeah, never got to see rally, American TV has something against it I suppose. But similarly, I haven't watched Champ Car since it was called CART in 2002, but I decided to watch Mexico 2006 and I've been addicted since.

I love watching a driver dominate, Million dollar Bill in the mid '80's was untouchable.

I'd go with Elgo's choice on this one: B, A, D, C.

Ok,me too. ^_^

D would be good.

No kidding. CCWS offers real excitment with unpredicable outcomes. Must admit, some pretty "bold" moves in every race.