Quiet One 15 Report post Posted March 2, 2007 Mind if I join in with a poem of Borges, my favorite Argentinian writer? It's a little sad, but fits some of my most introverted moods, those endless Sunday evenings...it's called "Limits" Of all the streets that blur into the sunset, There must be one (which, I am not sure) That I by now have walked for the last time Without guessing it, the pawn of that Someone Who fixes in advance omnipotent laws, Sets up a secret and unwavering scale for all the shadows, dreams, and forms Woven into the texture of this life. If there is a limit to all things and a measure And a last time and nothing more and forgetfulness, Who will tell us to whom in this house We without knowing it have said farewell? Through the dawning window night withdraws And among the stacked books which throw Irregular shadows on the dim table, There must be one which I will never read. There is in the South more than one worn gate, With its cement urns and planted cactus, Which is already forbidden to my entry, Inaccessible, as in a lithograph. There is a door you have closed forever And some mirror is expecting you in vain; To you the crossroads seem wide open, Yet watching you, four-faced, is a Janus. There is among all your memories one Which has now been lost beyond recall. You will not be seen going down to that fountain Neither by white sun nor by yellow moon. You will never recapture what the Persian Said in his language woven with birds and roses, When, in the sunset, before the light disperses, You wish to give words to unforgettable things. And the steadily flowing Rhone and the lake, All that vast yesterday over which today I bend? They will be as lost as Carthage, Scourged by the Romans with fire and salt. At dawn I seem to hear the turbulent Murmur of crowds milling and fading away; They are all I have been loved by, forgotten by; Space, time, and Borges now are leaving me Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
LabradoRacer 2 Report post Posted March 2, 2007 Hey Murray Walker,you trying to upstage Elmer Fudd? You silly wabbit! BTW , I am the one formerly "loserboy". Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Kati 0 Report post Posted March 2, 2007 I sure Katy will like the first one atleast. I'm not that into poetry. Murray knows it... Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
LabradoRacer 2 Report post Posted March 2, 2007 Hey Katy H so what if you aren't into poetry? We lecherous guys are into you! Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Quiet One 15 Report post Posted March 2, 2007 Hey Katy H so what if you aren't into poetry? We lecherous guys are into you! Yup, definitely Loserboy is back! Just kidding, good to see you again. What happened to your old nickname? Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Kay 0 Report post Posted March 2, 2007 I thought you could change your name on the same account. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
goferrarigo 0 Report post Posted March 2, 2007 I thought you could change your name on the same account. I thought you can but i can't see the menu in my controls, so i suppose it for senior members (around 35 posts to go) done Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Max Mosley 2 Report post Posted March 3, 2007 Sorry if it's too serious to some. But great to hear a friend of mine walked away from the mindset she had when she wrote that. Thanks for the poem! Great to hear your friend is OK now. You made me think of another female poet with a similar mindset - Sylvia Plath. Here is a video clip on youtube where she herself reads a very shocking poem about her .As you probably all know, she is one of the best and most famous poets of the last 50 years but within a year of making that recording she committed suicide, after a very troubled life. Her father died when she was very young, which influenced her in many ways, and her husband, who is mentioned towards the end of the poem, left her for another woman just before she wrote this poem. There's a great film about her (called "Sylvia") where you can find the details of her tragic life. Nice one's all round. It's good to read poems with such different styles and subject matters too (serious is just as good as the comedy factor), I have nothing to offer as I just don't write at the moment... I tried a couple of times but it truly stunk, I only have room in my mind for junk. I tried a couple of times but it truly stunk, I only have room in my mind for junk. Mind if I join in with a poem of Borges, my favorite Argentinian writer? It's a little sad, but fits some of my most introverted moods, those endless Sunday evenings...it's called "Limits" Thanks! So is this where your moniker comes from? Your reflective moods? Hey Murray Walker,you trying to upstage Elmer Fudd? You silly wabbit! BTW , I am the one formerly "loserboy". Welcome back! We've missed you. And yeah you're more right than you thought: I do have a tendency to shoot myself in the foot, metaphorically speaking. I'm not that into poetry. Murray knows it... You would be if you read up on it. I knows it... Try Stephen Fry's "The Ode Less Travelled" or some funny and very basic introduction to poetry in Portuguese or German. The book should have lots of examples of even the most basic things so that you eventually learn to love them. You didn't even like Goethe before you made an effort. Don't go though life as an uneducated philistine! If you get stuck, ask me and remember: if anyone knows it, Murray knows it... Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Quiet One 15 Report post Posted March 4, 2007 Thanks! So is this where your moniker comes from? Your reflective moods? Yes... And I love Sylvia Plath writings...sad story, though Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
pumpdoc 2 Report post Posted March 4, 2007 Figure this one out Milk, milk lemonade this where fudge is made............. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Quiet One 15 Report post Posted March 4, 2007 Figure this one outMilk, milk lemonade this where fudge is made............. Stick your finger up the hole... Out comes a chocolate Tootsie roll You really know some wonderful rhymes, Bruce! Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
pumpdoc 2 Report post Posted March 4, 2007 Stick your finger up the hole...Out comes a chocolate Tootsie roll You really know some wonderful rhymes, Bruce! Figures you'd know you'd know mine (nothing like a hot girl doing the visual though ) Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
LabradoRacer 2 Report post Posted March 4, 2007 I wish I was a good wordsmith. I do feel like writing some ribald poetry but the words just aren't tumbling out. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Kay 0 Report post Posted August 20, 2007 Appropriate I feel... The bird always comes Before the rising sun When the light is none He unfolds his wings And comes to me Never misses a dawn And I am drawn To his little tune From July to June He would sing One morning I awoke To a sudden choke The bird had gone He had undergone The change to pursue Heaven Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
LabradoRacer 2 Report post Posted August 22, 2007 Appropriate I feel... The bird always comes Before the rising sun When the light is none He unfolds his wings And comes to me Never misses a dawn And I am drawn To his little tune From July to June He would sing One morning I awoke To a sudden choke The bird had gone He had undergone The change to pursue Heaven Very nice & touching poem. I think "From July to June" should be "To July to June" ,unless of course you're referring to this year's July & next year's June. Maybe I'm too stupid. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
goferrarigo 0 Report post Posted August 22, 2007 Don't Quit When things go wrong, as they sometimes will When the road you're trudging seems all uphill When the funds are low and the debts are high And you want to smile, but you have to sigh When care is pressing you down a bit Rest if you must, but don't you quit. Life is queer with its twists and turns As every one of us sometimes learns And many a fellow turns about When he might have won, had he stuck it out. Don't give up though the pace seems slow You may succeed with another blow. Often the goal is nearer than It seems to a faint and faltering man; Often the struggler has given up When he might have captured the victor's cup; And he learned too late when the night came down How close he was to the golden crown. Success is failure turned inside out The silver tint of the clouds of doubt And you never can tell how close you are It may be near when it seems afar; So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit It's when things seem worst that you mustn't quit. Author Unknown Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Jez 0 Report post Posted August 23, 2007 There once was a man from Australia who painted his bum like a dahlia ten cents for a smell was all very well but twenty cents for a lick was a failure. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Max Mosley 2 Report post Posted August 23, 2007 Very good mate! And Ankit too! Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Max Mosley 2 Report post Posted August 24, 2007 Appropriate I feel... The bird always comes Before the rising sun When the light is none He unfolds his wings And comes to me Never misses a dawn And I am drawn To his little tune From July to June He would sing One morning I awoke To a sudden choke The bird had gone He had undergone The change to pursue Heaven Lovely work Kay. I missed it first time round! (PS I'm too nice apparently, so I take all that back. Let's say adios to Mr Nice Murray.) Very nice & touching poem.I think "From July to June" should be "To July to June" ,unless of course you're referring to this year's July & next year's June. Maybe I'm too stupid. It's more poetic the way she had it I think. Firstly it rhymes, and secondly it's unexpected which gives it a nice rhythm somehow! Of course you could well be right too. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
LabradoRacer 2 Report post Posted August 25, 2007 Lovely work Kay. I missed it first time round! (PS I'm too nice apparently, so I take all that back. Let's say adios to Mr Nice Murray.) It's more poetic the way she had it I think. Firstly it rhymes, and secondly it's unexpected which gives it a nice rhythm somehow! Of course you could well be right too. I'm right about the last statement of mine? Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Max Mosley 2 Report post Posted August 25, 2007 No. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
mikathegreat2 2 Report post Posted August 25, 2007 No,no no no this can't be happening! Well I guess Murray's in heaven by now! Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Rainmaster 7 Report post Posted August 27, 2007 Magic Senna forever Imola, May 1st Ayrton left us that day But many don Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Jez 0 Report post Posted August 27, 2007 Magic Senna foreverImola, May 1st Ayrton left us that day But many don't realise Senna is gone but not far away the legacy he left will never be forgotten the magic he possessed will never be lost the skill he had demands respect the awe he created continues to infect the commitment he showed never since equalled only later on was his true nature revealed kindness, generosity, introverted and shy we must never forger magic senna and now you know why. That was my attempt at poetry. and now for something good All That is Gold Does Not Glitter All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king. JRR Tolkien Nice piece of original work there Rainmaster. And what an awesome Tolkien poem too. I love his work. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Eric 0 Report post Posted August 27, 2007 "99" Fontana, last race Of the year, and of a life Andretti sets the pace Hard in the wall, head first Carbon fibre to concrete "We hope for good news" But fatality is what he'd meet Twenty-four and a winner A champion to be Friendly and affable A great personality So fast is a driver, so fast was a life All was not fine Last race of 99 Last race for 99 RIP Greg Moore For those of you who would like to see what I am talking about, watch this horrible video that shows a fatal accident... Share this post Link to post Share on other sites