Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

5P33D3V1L

Ban Refuelling?

ITV Article

Hmmmm Im not sure about this, Im in two minds because yes this may shake things up and create some more racing, but I cant help but feel fuel stops contribute alot to the specticle of F1.

Also no refuelling would see some really slow starts to the race as all the cars are fat on fuel and in an event of a fire, it might draw more safety concerns as at a first corner shunt you'd have 20 cars fat on fuel.

I also always used to think some of the slower cars used to use light fuel as an advantage to be quicker than others, and hope rain or a safety car would help them retain their place etc. So taking away too many variables could be a disadvantage.

What do you all think? Opinions would be much appreciated :)

Will this create better racing?

Nope, you'll just have cars that will pass each other even less because even the pit overtaking would be taken away.

The cars and the tracks need to be modified.

Monaco, Hungary, Barcelona and Crapy Cours need to go; cars need to be modified by bringing back the goodies like fat slicks, ground effects, movable wings, active suspensions, turbos with push to pass/variable boost.

No, it won't. Ground effects, slick fat tires, big wings, no more winglets, active ride suspensions, and drivers who can't find a cup big enough for them will make the racing better. Good handling cars with lots of grip means you can actually run side-by-side, and be confident enough to drive balls-out. Getting rid of winglets will allow the cars to run closer together. Allowing innovation to occur will be pretty good, too. Two equivalent cars is cool. Two equal cars isn't. Refueling, in my opinion, has nothing to do with good or bad racing. It's just part of it. Change the cars, not the way the races are run.

But banning refueling alone won't make much or any difference.

The issues of dirty air, rubber line, tight-slow tracks won't be fixed by this.

Welcome back Eric.

Thanks DOF. Love the signature. Has Monte Dutton ever written about NASCAR (I guess with the COT the quote could be about NASCAR, actually)? For some reason I'm thinking I read a NASCAR-related book by him...

The article "Flunking the equivalency test" was about NASCAR but could apply in many/all other racing series.

Yeah. That's why I'm really into dirt late models and ALMS these days. I love the dirt lates, the only rule is about the carburator and the weight of the car. Everything else is up to the team. The racing is great, too. Both series have some of the best racing out there, and the common link is freedom in design. Even my local short track, which runs a crate motor, as more stuff going on with the cars than the COT. The only thing that varies on the COT are air intake vents and the wing plates, but even those are NASCAR-mandated; you just get to choose. That's a shame. At least F1 isn't spec (yet), but it is annoying when ALL the cars run the shark fin, instead of it being a unique thing to one team. I don't want every series to be the same, but I think some open innovation would be good for all series. Maybe not the IRL, just to give it an identity, but I'd love to see the Indy 500 turn in to a non-points race where anything goes as far as the cars are concerned. I think the IRL would be good with a bunch of independent chassis suppliers and engine suppliers, but that's really something I'd only like to see in that series. For all other pro series, I agree.

Ban refuelling and one set of tyres for the whole race would be perfect for saving. :mellow:

Running go-karts would save money, but should we do that, too? :P

Running go-karts would save money, but should we do that, too? :P

Of course we should.

What's more important than money?

Money, money, money... Saving money, money, money... If I were a rich man...

Max, maximum savings. :unsure:

Banning fuel? Who is the nitwit who thought that?

Geez, people wants whatever F1 did in the past in the hopes that it will bring the good old times back? What about killing a Villeneuve on track?

No fuel means one of the few strategic factors that less powerful teams could use to level the field would be gone. Just forbid them to cross the starting line and voila! McLaren and Ferrari would be happy. :meh:

Totally, utterly idiotic. Golden bollocks award to whoever thought about it seriously.

Geez, people wants whatever F1 did in the past in the hopes that it will bring the good old times back? What about killing a Villeneuve on track?

No fuel means one of the few strategic factors that less powerful teams could use to level the field would be gone. Just forbid them to cross the starting line and voila! McLaren and Ferrari would be happy. :meh:

Totally, utterly idiotic. Golden bollocks award to whoever thought about it seriously.

:lol: And that's the highest bollocks award :victory:

Someone please tell DC to shut up. He didn't even retire yet.

:lol: He's just doing a sort of 'parade lap' on talking bollocks before he retires.

Someone please tell DC to shut up. He didn't even retire yet.

Don't say the r-word! Brett Favre*, Mark Martin**, etc. You know he'll unretire.

*Read an American paper. You'll see.

**Retired in 2004, but has raced full time ever since for the most part. He always whines about how rough it is to be away from his family for so long, but then at the least minute, he decides he'll leave them for 40 weeks AGAIN. Shut up man. He also owes a lot of fans a lot of money for all that "Mark Martin Victory Tour" merchandise.

:lol: He's just doing a sort of 'parade lap' on talking bollocks before he retires.

haha exactly hes just preparing for his job at the BBC next year for F1. Next year you wait, the things that will come out of his mouth... :P

I am against it! That would be like watching Solar cars racing, I am sure VW would enter the sport with their single cylinder diesel engine and beat the crap out of everyone! :P

:lol: And that's the highest bollocks award :victory:

Nope that's "Dog's Bollocks" :)

Actually I am in favour of banning it. Refuelling makes races boring - however only if tyre rules are relaxed.

We went for many years without refuelling and there was no less racing - instead interest happened in other ways - people would burn more fuel early on then have to lean off later, causing late racing action; teams would come in for tyre changes but instead of being at predictable set points it would be more random.

If we ban refuelling, the best cars will still be at the front. The FIA won't run with that ball. From an environmental and safety point of view it makes profound sense but I remember racing without it and it wasn't any more exciting than it is today. Either Senna, Mansell or Prost would hare off into the distance and that was that. Once in a while, one of these giants would make a bad call on tyre changes and would go backwards into the pack - like Piquet did at the British in '87, where Mansell [ the only driver who was ever Senna's equal], made up 20 secs in 20 laps to catch Piquet and beat him right at the death. That was exciting but a rare occurrence. For me, there should be a universal budget cap but beyond that teams can do what they like. It's called racing. As far as I am concerned, the sterile shambles the FIA has created over the past few seasons is appalling. Moreover, it bores the pants off me. Let's strip off these Noddy wings, get these babies slick-shod, wring the necks of the engines and let go racing people! Can you hear me Max!!

If only this budget cap could work.

They should strip this winglets of the cars and bring back big fat slicks, ground-effects, active suspensions, (small) movable wings and turbos. Oh and go for twin chassis design.

They see 3 or 4 fires and the jump in to say we have to ban refuelling for safety reasons, if they do that Formula One will be even more buggered in a racing sense, Its the stragerty that livens up the Grand Prix.

At the end of the day when the rules are reviewed at the end of the year, it wouldnt even be a consideration To ban refuelling. mark my words, max and Bernie know it will bugger up the racing even more than what it already is!!!

I'll take that award too. F1 has killed a lot of drivers whether or not they were re-fuellable races or not, so that statement has no value in a thread like this.

I'd ****ing love it if we could just have one season of pure racing, none of this pit-lane winning ****ing crap. I wonder how Massa would handle a full tank of fuel, could Sutil conserve it better than him? Would Hamilton run out on the last lap, handing the championship to Alonso?

Possibilities are endless. Golden Bollocks award to yourself, Mr. One for not thinking it through fully. :lol::lol:;)

I'll take that award too. F1 has killed a lot of drivers whether or not they were re-fuellable races or not, so that statement has no value in a thread like this.

I'd ****ing love it if we could just have one season of pure racing, none of this pit-lane winning ****ing crap. I wonder how Massa would handle a full tank of fuel, could Sutil conserve it better than him? Would Hamilton run out on the last lap, handing the championship to Alonso?

Possibilities are endless. Golden Bollocks award to yourself, Mr. One for not thinking it through fully. :lol::lol:;)

Winning races in the pits doesn't count to some of you, but winning because someone else runs out of fuel does? Not sure about that one. Keep pitting alive and design the cars the DOF way so we can say actual on-track action without ruining the strategy element of the sport. A win is a win, no matter how it's done. Make the cars better and you'll see a lot more "entertaining" wins and preserve the tradition of the sport.