Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

5P33D3V1L

Vettel To Win The Championship?

19 members have voted

1. 1. Vettel for the Title?

• Definitely!
    • No Way!
    • Cars not quick enough.

I placed a fun bet on Seb to win the championship before the season began, and didnt think he had a strong chance, but after seeing his dominant win in China and his second in Bahrain, and to qualfy P3, P3, P1, P3, P2 in the first 5 races is very impressive.

Does anyone believe he has a strong chance in actually winning this years championship.

Also so far I believe he's had the upper hand on Webber all season so far...

I placed a fun bet on Seb to win the championship before the season began, and didnt think he had a strong chance, but after seeing his dominant win in China and his second in Bahrain, and to qualfy P3, P3, P1, P3, P2 in the first 5 races is very impressive.

Does anyone believe he has a strong chance in actually winning this years championship.

Also so far I believe he's had the upper hand on Webber all season so far...

Vettel win it all???

As long as the car's development keeps pace with the other teams (eg: Ferrari and Braun) ... I actually like his chances. Skill certainly is not lacking, however.... hope you didn't "bet the farm". :lol:

A lot's going to come down to red bull and brawn keeping ahead of the curve and making good strategy decisions. At the moment it seems whichever team manages that will take both WCC and WDC to me.

It's nice to see the potential for Red Bull to challange Brawn or it might have got boring very quickly.

Can't quite see Toyota or Williams getting their act together enough to really challenge for the titles.

Only possibilities other that Red Bull and Brawn for WDC and WCC would be...

Hamilton for WDC (if Mclaren inject a mother load of funds right now - doubtful) Don't think Kovi's up to helping McLaren with the WCC.

Ferrari for WCC (if Ferreri inject a mother load of funds right now - also doubtful) Don't think Kimi or Massa are in any position to go for the WDC.

So basically it's between RedBull and Brawn for WCC and seemingly Vettel and Button for WDC. You may well win your bet.

Being the biased Webber fan that I am, I'd rather see Button win the WDC over Vettel. :P It's early days though. Vettel is definitely a strong contender, because (dammit) he's driving well!

may be next year...this year will definitely be button and brawn for both titles...i would like to see vettel joining mclaren next year(if they improve their car by a big amount...they seem to be interested in getting him to mclaren... :rock:

The car is simply not quick enough, we also have Ferrari and Mclaren(may be) catching up which is enough to split Jense and Vettel. Anyways, its good to see two different people fighting for the championship.

The truth is that Button is doing very, very well... but this (together with Brawn's edge) only makes Vettel look better.

It's tricky for me because I've always liked Button. But FIA's difusser scam forces my vote to go to Vettel.

Don't write off Barichello.

Brawn GP's already written him off for us.

I have no reason to believe anyone other than Button will win it, and I don't mind, as long as the individual races are good (and they have been a step up from the last few years, Melbourne was very enjoyable, Malaysia had some highlights, didn't watch a single second of Bahrain, Barcelona was average).

jense is in better form [than Vettel]

Yup. Vettel has the best car out there, with far more potential for development than the Brawns and he really has a good shot at the title. So I think it's time to take stock of Vettel's driving.

Last season he beat Bourdais - but isn't the even less experienced Buemi also doing that? He's won a couple of wet races that looked spectacular to the layman but in fact he probably had the best car in each case in those conditions, sometimes dramatically so. He's had the best car for 3/5 races this season yet he's a long way behind in the points. A clumsy crash in Aus was followed by spinning out of the next race, in difficult conditions but still his team mate didn't. He won in a dominant car next time out, then squandered a slight but definite performance advantage in the following two races. I can't imagine Alonso or Hamilton meekly following cars home for 2 entire races in succession.

On the plus side, he has looked significantly quicker than Webber generally speaking, although we really don't know how good Webber is, especially this season. Webber looked a little closer this race. It seems to me that Vettel is talented but still has more questions to answer than people are asking at this stage.

Brawn GP's already written him off for us.

Naughty... and more so considering how RB lost to Button tihs time around.

Yup. Vettel has the best car out there, with far more potential for development than the Brawns and he really has a good shot at the title. So I think it's time to take stock of Vettel's driving.

Last season he beat Bourdais - but isn't the even less experienced Buemi also doing that? He's won a couple of wet races that looked spectacular to the layman but in fact he probably had the best car in each case in those conditions, sometimes dramatically so. He's had the best car for 3/5 races this season yet he's a long way behind in the points. A clumsy crash in Aus was followed by spinning out of the next race, in difficult conditions but still his team mate didn't. He won in a dominant car next time out, then squandered a slight but definite performance advantage in the following two races. I can't imagine Alonso or Hamilton meekly following cars home for 2 entire races in succession.

On the plus side, he has looked significantly quicker than Webber generally speaking, although we really don't know how good Webber is, especially this season. Webber looked a little closer this race. It seems to me that Vettel is talented but still has more questions to answer than people are asking at this stage.

Amusing.

You made me smile. I just hope that post was bait tbh :P

I agree we need more time to judge Vettel fully, although the same can be said of a few drivers actually. I do think the guy has proved quite a bit already though.

1 Brawn-Mercedes 68

2 Red Bull-Renault 38.5

3 Toyota 26.5

4 McLaren-Mercedes 13

5 Renault 9

6 Ferrari 6

7 BMW Sauber 6

8 Williams-Toyota 4.5

9 Toro Rosso-Ferrari 4

10 Force India-Mercedes 0

Ergh, 29.5 points ahead with 5 races gone already. Maybe things would of been much more closer and exciting if Brawn didnt make it to the grid this season :P

And Kubica not scoring a point 5 races into a season... :(

Atleast Vettel is the highest scoring non Brawn driver! :D

More violence,

Anyways..I agree with you but I also have to agree with George, that Vettel has already proved himself.

Vettel has shown this season (and last) that he has outstanding speed, but in his very short career so far I dont think he's proved that he's much good at racing, as in fighting for position, whereas we all know Button can race with anyone.

In reply to the main question, I'd vote Button after seeing how dominant Brawn were today. Vettel will win a couple more races this year I think, but if he's going to challenge Jenson he'd better hurry up about it cos he's already almost 20 points behind.

Rubens was mentioned earlier - I note with interest that after the race Rubens was asked if he thinks the team are already favouring Button, instead of saying 'noway', he said "I hope not, I've been in that situation before". He also said "I honestly don't know why they changed Jenson's strategy, we were both on 3-stops." So, looks like Rubens is already suspecting it himself.

Go to USF1 Rubens. We want you. We like you. You technically are American.

...or just be happy you're second in points and not out of a ride like you would be if Ross hadn't bought the team or in 22nd like you would be if Honda hadn't bailed...

I mean, nothing against Barrichello, I genuinely like the guy, and I know not winning sucks (they desperately owe him a win now), but I think the majority of people (himself included) were pretty convinced that he wouldn't be on the grid anymore. If he's losing races, that means he has a chance to be winning races, and I think being a little more grateful of that would be nice.

Then again, there isn't a whole lot of gratitude in the sport, only a handful of drivers really seem to appreciate how much of an honor just getting to test an F1 car is, let alone race one, or in some cases, have success in one.

(they desperately owe him a win now)

How so? They have given him the tools, so it is down to him to win a race!