Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oli

Honda Rescued!

They need to make a damn decision!

Fry probably doesnt want to go with the "hostile take-over" because he'll probably loose all control on the team. And probably become unemployed.

I think they should maybe attend the opener and see where they lie in terms of competitiveness. If somehow they are competitive then Im sure more bids will appear. Sort of use the opener as an advertisement for the team?

If not miss the first few races to sort everything out and prepare for europe?

They need to make a decision soon because this is getting ridiculous.

I cant see Virgin F1 happening as they just wont benefit from F1. Though another manufacter would be great. *cough* Porsche, VW *cough*

Fry probably doesnt want to go with the "hostile take-over" because he'll probably loose all control on the team. And probably become unemployed.

I think they should maybe attend the opener and see where they lie in terms of competitiveness. If somehow they are competitive then Im sure more bids will appear. Sort of use the opener as an advertisement for the team?

I cant see Virgin F1 happening as they just wont benefit from F1. Though another manufacter would be great. *cough* Porsche, VW *cough*

They will be fined for not turning up at a race - same thing happened to Arrows when it died.

Fry should have been the first let go. He's acting like one of those billionaire auto giant CEO's turning up for handouts in a Learjet. His leadership did not work. He can't stand the heat. Get out of the kitchen. BAR was getting good because of RIchards..not Fry

They will be fined for not turning up at a race - same thing happened to Arrows when it died.

Fry should have been the first let go. He's acting like one of those billionaire auto giant CEO's turning up for handouts in a Learjet. His leadership did not work. He can't stand the heat. Get out of the kitchen. BAR was getting good because of RIchards..not Fry

Indeed.

Clearly, Fry's plan was just that - get to a few races and attract a sponsor. However, the Japanese press and some of the larger shareholders have been panning the Tokyo board for the way the sale has been handled over here and they obviously aren't convinced that the internal 'buy out' plans are robust enough to support the company in the long term. If Virgin are sniffing around again, Branson will rely heavily on third-party counsel from his buddy, Adrian Reynard. I have already said, many times that Fry was only looking after himself since Honda put the team up for sale. I am reliably informed that Brawn persuaded Tokyo to 'invite' Virgin Group to take a second look at the company with Ecclestone making the pitch on Honda's behalf. Virgin Group is Branson's venture capital arm and any involvement here would be in pure financing, I believe. Like most VC operations, Virgin would seek complete control over personnel and the current management team will have to go with the possible exception of Brawn. That's why it's deemed to be 'hostile'. Branson will be looking to Reynard to report on the viability of such an investment.

Though Reynard Motorsport has had it's successes, notably in Formula 3000 and Champ Car it went bust in 2003. Reynard had a dig a F1 before, but it went pear-shaped and took the company to the brink of bankruptcy with both Adrian Reynard and commercial whizz-kid, Rick Gorne having to sell many personal assets. A further F1 involvement with BAR led to even more financial difficulties. Just where Adrian Reynard may fit in is difficult to figure. He's hardly qualified to run the commercial side of the enterprise and he is certainly no designer. He couldn't possibly fill Brawn's shoes in a technical role, so I guess he'd be looking to retain Ross as CTO and take the Team Principal role on. Rick Gorne may come in as MD and ex-Reynard, BAR and Jaguar designer, Malcolm Ostler may be persuaded out of retirement. They may even have the cash and clout to tempt Rory Byrne away from the Scuderia - who knows?

The mention of Ostler and Byrne bring me to another point that been bothering me - who exactly has been designing the 09 car at Brackley?

Indeed, As simple as that! Honda should pay Richards to take over the team.

I understand everyone's getting p1ssed off with the wait 5P, and it's doing my head in too - stuff The Honda Car co., I want to see the team... the lads and lassies that have put their all into it over the years, come out of this OK. And as you might all have gathered, I still have no doubt whatsoever they will be in Melbourne :P

They need to make a decision soon? Yes of course they need to make something public soon, but what we see in the press and what has happened are probably a mile apart.

The timing of this 436th rumour, if there's any credence in it, would be typical of Branson, he'd want to pay as little as possible - at this time the team (as a going concern, a ready-to-run outfit) is just about the lowest value it'll ever be, when would be the best time to buy? Not at the start of the process that's for sure.

Virgin and Branson, this is a match made in heaven! - I could most definately see the sense in Virgin owning/sponsoring the team, for many reasons:

1) Branson has (by his own admittance) never done business with his head, he works from the heart. His official motto is "stuff it, let's do it", and damn right too, some of the most succesfull businesses in the world work this way, Apple, Google, Kellogs (enema anyone?), Cadbury's, even Microsoft started this way 'till they went soft ;)

3) Branson's opinion of what to do when the market is having a rough ride? Be more aggressive whilst everyone else is moaning and cutting back on spend, go and grab their business. He's right.

2) The accepted additional brand exposure through F1 (of a major sponsor, ie. main car colours/branding) varies from 12% to 18%. On the size of many of his companies (the group of 200+ companies turns over $20 billion), that's enough to show a considerable gain compared to the purchase and running of Team Brackers.

36) He's massively into making a success of his clean fuel business (from algae), and what better place to start to make changes than from the influential position an F1 team owner holds? - bearing in mind the growing opinion of other team owners that they want to change with the times. That alone would be a huge inspiration for His Bransonness. Would he care if many thought it was hypocritical? No, he'd see this as a 'well now I've got your attention, I think we should do this in the future...'

12) 'The Show' of F1 can only benefit from characters like him, he's made for the grid walk isn't he? All the inuendo's taking the rip out of the Virgin name... well, that's perfect, that's how his brand works, it's unforgettable, makes people smile, and most importantly it makes people think.

Disclaimer: I don't work for Virgin, and I haven't met many. If there is a God of F1, then He/She/It would make sure there's a red & white car on the grid, complete with Virgin Airlines Scarlet Lady across the front wing. ;)

EDIT: 10 mins after slapping up this post, this appeared on the Beeb website: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport...one/7896784.stm

Honda has confirmed Richard Branson's Virgin Group have made a bid to purchase its Formula One team............................

:waccoe1: I am underpant waving in joyness of anticipatory participations :icecream:

Virgin F1 name = :thbdn:

Virgin F1 success (if Merc don't give them engines) = :thbdn:

Predicted lineup: Bruno Senna & Jenson Button with Alex Wurz as test driver!

Here's a Virgin livery idea, this vid is from the Race Driver GRID demo, could'nt find a pic so found this! BTW pause the vid at the very start!

Meds - agreed on your post... however:

All the inuendo's taking the rip out of the Virgin name... well, that's perfect, that's how his brand works, it's unforgettable, makes people smile, and most importantly it makes people think.

I have decided that you are right on this too, but that there must be another company naming opportunity with similar rememberableness (if there is such a word). In my quest to build my own global megabrand, I feel that I should setup one of the following company names - the branding idea being that its like a Virgin, but more mature, developed, etc....:

- Slag

- Slapper

- MILF

Yep, I can just see it, my own "Flying Lady" logo :) and the sub-brands: MILF Atlantic; Slag Cola or Slapper Trains. Yes! It really works....

My staff would be Slappers. There would be a Burberry colour scheme for the logo.

I'm off to Companies House... :D

Meds - agreed on your post... however:

I have decided that you are right on this too, but that there must be another company naming opportunity with similar rememberableness (if there is such a word). In my quest to build a global megabrand, I feel that I should up one of the following - the branding idea being that its like a Virgin, but more mature....:

Slag

Slapper

MILF

Yep, I can just see it: MILF Atlantic; Slag Cola or Slapper Trains. I'm off to Companies House...

I don't know about companies names, but I can help you with their domain sites:

1. A site called

Virgin F1 name = :thbdn:

Virgin F1 success (if Merc don't give them engines) = :thbdn:

Predicted lineup: Bruno Senna & Jenson Button with Alex Wurz as test driver!

Bruno is probably still a virgin so that will be great for marketing.

In fact Wurz probably is too

From Automoto- Link

Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone has revealed that he is doing all he can to help Virgin Group owner Richard Branson take over the troubled Honda Racing team and has officially given the move his blessing after it became known that the Group had indeed placed a bid for the team.

"I've spoken to Richard's people about it. He would love to do it," Ecclestone told Reuters.

Brawn is widely reported as saying the team will make some finite decisions on Monday. OK, fine. I doubt they will include Virgin, to be honest. It's a little to 'bling' for Branson, I feel. The story on Pitpass.com regarding Honda F1 trucks loading on a ferry two days ago have been confirmed by a retired ex-colleague of mine who is spending his says 'stalking' Honda. They are definitely testing somewhere.

I don't know about companies names, but I can help you with their domain sites:

:lol: Very good.

Edit: Connie Montoya would have to be involved in a MILF capacity....

:lol: So very true!

I'm off to Brackley to put a bullett in Fry's head. Anyone want to come?

I'm off to Brackley to put a bullett in Fry's head. Anyone want to come?

bahaha :lol:

Im all that dribbler!

Seriously if Honda refuse a serious bid from Virgin and go for the manager buy-out, then the team is destined for failure. Virgin will be able to give sufficient funding to help the team stay competitive (and alive) rather than a manager buy out.

However much i like the idea of Richard Branson in the sport and him having a team in F1, I still think Honda will in some way f**k things up.

Button and Sato to reunite as drivers :) Senna is only just for the name I bet.

Branson made it clear on Radio 4 today that there are conditions to be met before Virgin would get involved with Brackley or anybody in F1. Most of those conditions are achievable but can they be implemented or assured within Brackley's timeline? Here's what Sir Richard had to say:

"We'd need to be sure that Bernie Ecclestone is running it [Formula 1], that the teams can make ends meet and we'd need to be sure that he's [bernie] on a path to turn Formula One in to a sport that is championing green technology," said Branson, who according to Forbes is the world's 236th richest person.

He welcomed Ecclestone's comments earlier this week that Branson is 'exactly the type of person' F1 is seeking.

"I'm delighted he said it and it would be great fun," Branson said, "and subject to those two provisos maybe something might be able to get sorted out.”

Pick the bones out of that. What do I think? I think Virgin are in. He was just trying to reassure ex-hippie and politically correct shareholders. He's hardly been an outstanding champion of green aviation, after all.

Argh too many quips in my head......

You could imagine some of the headlines:

If Richard Branson were to be forceful: "Virgin's d#ck makes a stand...."

If Max were to penalise the team: "Max spanks two Virgins..."

If Patrick Head was to take over Brawn's role: "Virgin gives Head a try for the first time...."

If A driver was offered a job and declined: "Rosberg offered a ride by Virgin, but declines...."

If one of their drivers was fined for an embarassing rule breach: "Virgin's top Button comes undone, feels exposed, hides...."

Noooo, make it stop!!! :(:D

:lol: Very good!

Senna is only just for the name I bet.

Yep. They like names that sound fast. When someone actually is fast, they pretend the youger driver is better.

Yep. They like names that sound fast. When someone actually is fast, they pretend the youger driver is better.

Yeah (and to 5P, but your name is unpronouncable :-), there's a lot in that Steve, indeed, in a similar way to 'there's a lot' in that boobenholster in your sig pic thang, quite magnetic just before 'me Horlics. I mean the drink, not the girlies that Max likes :lol:

Branson and F1: He's invested many hundreds of millions into his algae alternative fuel (to try to stop the food shortages that 'traditional' bio fuels are destined to do - what fcukwit thought that would work anyway?) - check out their policy and story behind this, it's a massive part of their future - donating planes to trial it aint cheap...

So... if he can get a foot in the door with this through F1 he'll have made a great move. Blend this (see the fuel terminology rolling off my lips huh?) with his unconventional way of seizing opportunities and there's a bloody clever 'in' there - Richard Branson is one of those that sees best opportunities to make change are from being 'in' with the old-guard and bringing them onside.

Stay tune. when I sober up I'll throw some 3 sylabubble words in too. :P

I've been out of the loop lately..

So is the "old" Brackley team gonna be on the grid this year .. or not????