Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insider

Today In F1

lewis can't see his front wingunsure.gif

...and just when the season is almost over he (ad Macca) discovered that his mirrors are too small and they have them redesigned...

The good news is that somehow it worked. Suddenly the guy was capable of even making it to P1 on qualy!

Praise the Lord!!!!!!!! Hallellujah!!!!

Lotsa news nobody cares about:

- Rosberg to Ferrari rumours increase. Silly season and all that, I know, but fun to discuss :D Apparently, Rosberg was not too happy after India, feeling his teammate was being favoured. In those cases (Rosberg, Button, Lewis, Webber, etc.) I never understand why tthe first rumour that arises is 'Driver X in talks with Ferrari'. Certainly, if teammate favouritism is a driver's main concern Ferrari would be the last place to go to I recon?

- Button, mad at the constant questions over his opinion on the Massa-Lewis fight: "I don't give a f**k" :lol: Good Jenson, keep that attitude and that increasing racecraft and I might even start to like you, or dislike you. In any case, is better than nothing.

- RBR bosses were apparently not too happy with Vettel's rebellious fast laps at the end. Good for Seb!

- Mika Hakkinen as Lewis coach/advisor/stepfather/replacement-for-Nicole? Some people says so.

- Niki Lauda has made no flaming comment this week about some driver. That's some news.

Robert Wickens will be Marussia's Friday driver in Abu Dhabi.

I am excited. I've followed him since he was in Formula BMW USA many years ago.

I hope he impresses enough to get something together for 2012, but not so much that other people start to care about him and declare him the next big thing, because then I won't be able to like him anymore. The same thing happened in IndyCar with his friend James Hinchcliffe. :(

Massa tests new mirror mounting device. Mclaren to follow with similar

mirrors.jpg

Massa tests new mirror mounting device. Mclaren to follow with similar

mirrors.jpg

It also explains Massa's driving style. "I have this guy beside me. I can't shake him off no matter how hard I try!"

- "Felipe, baby, you have been spinning around for the past 10 minutes"

- "Oh"

Wow, sounds like somebody got out of bed the wrong side. Is there more to this than meets the eye?

http://www.gpupdate....ian-television/

Thanks for that Steve.

This fits in precisely with what I've been saying in the 'come back Heidfeld' thread...

“People have been saying that the team is criticising its drivers but, excuse me, I haven't criticised the team at all…read my interviews! That is despite what we’ve lost so many times - how much we’ve lost at pit-stops and with poor strategies. We have lost position in probably ten races, or even more, but I wasn’t allowed to say that in interviews and I can’t really talk about that now, either. But I can't keep silent anymore – that’s over, I just can't keep everything inside me anymore.”

Is anyone else not in the least surprised that Petrov should single out poor strategies / pit-stops as a serious problem at Renault? I've noticed way too many crappy calls coming from their pit wall this season. Lack of development funding is no excuse for calling stupid strategies reliant on a safety car period (at Abu Dhabi and India to name just two recent races) or leaving their drivers out on track for stints way too long on tyres that are loosing them 2 seconds per lap.

Thanks for that Steve.

This fits in precisely with what I've been saying in the 'come back Heidfeld' thread...

[/font]

Is anyone else not in the least surprised that Petrov should single out poor strategies / pit-stops as a serious problem at Renault? I've noticed way too many crappy calls coming from their pit wall this season. Lack of development funding is no excuse for calling stupid strategies reliant on a safety car period (at Abu Dhabi and India to name just two recent races) or leaving their drivers out on track for stints way too long on tyres that are loosing them 2 seconds per lap.

Sounds like the outburst of a guy who thinks he's gone because he knows someone else is arriving....

Sounds like the outburst of a guy who thinks he's gone because he knows someone else is arriving....

It does to me too.

But it's still compelling that his primary complaint was that Renault's strategies sucked balls - they have.

I´ve just realized all top 4th finishers this year got more points than Vettel in 2010. If you look at 2010 and 2011 driver standings you get a pretty accurate pic of the WC. I mean if vettel wasn´t so dominant webo, jense and nando could repeated a last race definition with him as in 2010. But the RB7 + Seb combo was unbeatable as we all seen.

I don't give F1 credit for much, but their new "one move" blocking rule (if you move off the racing line to defend, you can't cut back) is absolutely perfect for open-wheel racing. I wish that was a universal standard in everything that doesn't have fenders (if a guy blocks in stock cars or touring cars, you just move him out of the way). So good on them for getting something right.

FIA announce rule changes

The FIA have implemented a number of rule changes for the 2012 Formula One season, including the return of a mid-season test event.

In-season testing has been banned for the last three years, with teams limited to running before the season and at the young drivers' test at the end of the campaign.

But it has now been confirmed that a three-day stint of testing will be permitted during the 2012 campaign, an event which will take place in the middle of the year.

The FIA have also ruled that all cars taking part in pre-season testing must have passed mandatory crash tests.

There is another tweak to the safety car regulations, with lapped cars now able to unlap themselves and join up with the back of the field to prevent backmarkers being caught up with front-runners during restarts.

The FIA have also looked to remove ambiguity over the 'one move' regulation, ruling that drivers will not be allowed to return to the racing line once they have left it to defend their position.

Drivers will also not be able to leave the track without "a justifiable reason", meaning that saving fuel by taking short cuts on reconnaissance and in laps is now prohibited.

A four-hour time limit has been put in place for all races, regardless of the circumstances. This year's Canadian Grand Prix lasted for almost four hours and five minutes including delays.

Hmm - I'm glad they haven't changed anything too serious and agree with (or have no opinion on) all the changes.

However, does the 'backmarkers unlapping themselves behind SC' rule mean that the SC will have to stay out there until all the cars have unlapped themselves and formed up behind. In which case SC's might have to stay out for a couple of laps longer than is really necessary each time.

It's tricky because the potential for front-runners racing at restart is also nice.

6 of one...

SC's in the first half of the race might take one or two extra laps, and remember that the unlapping cars will still have to go slow (as determined by their Delta time on the dash) to get to the back.

In the second half of the race, you'll have at least a third of the field lapped...and towards the end, maybe up to half the field will be lapped...

It'll just get tweaked again next year...lol

SC's in the first half of the race might take one or two extra laps, and remember that the unlapping cars will still have to go slow (as determined by their Delta time on the dash) to get to the back.

In the second half of the race, you'll have at least a third of the field lapped...and towards the end, maybe up to half the field will be lapped...

It'll just get tweaked again next year...lol

Indeed. they tweaked it to stop the lapped cars taking time to unlap themselves and now they're reversing that decision. I have no doubt they'll change their minds again in a few years. Just like refuelling.

Maybe I'm turning into an old sentimental, but I really like Alguersuari's attitude in this quote in response to being dropped by STR. How damned refreshingly objective...

"Red Bull gave me everything since I was 15," he added. "I've trained with them and I'm a complete driver in F1 now. I'm not a victim, because for seven years I have enjoyed the privilege of being in the best team in the world with the best resources.

"I do not consider what happened is a tragedy, because I have many plans for the present and future: both professionally and sporting. The surprise lasted for a couple of hours, I just needed to talk to my family. I was watching the street in Madrid, and I realized that life is full of opportunities and challenges.

"When I came to Barcelona on the AVE (train) and read the newspapers, they pointed out that there are five million unemployed in Spain. We can only return to this country with confidence and optimism, thinking of fighting and improving every day. And that's what I will do from tomorrow, I promise to all the fans and I appreciate their support."

I hope the kid does well somewhere.

Maybe I'm turning into an old sentimental, but I really like Alguersuari's attitude in this quote in response to being dropped by STR. How damned refreshingly objective...

"Red Bull gave me everything since I was 15," he added. "I've trained with them and I'm a complete driver in F1 now. I'm not a victim, because for seven years I have enjoyed the privilege of being in the best team in the world with the best resources.

"I do not consider what happened is a tragedy, because I have many plans for the present and future: both professionally and sporting. The surprise lasted for a couple of hours, I just needed to talk to my family. I was watching the street in Madrid, and I realized that life is full of opportunities and challenges.

"When I came to Barcelona on the AVE (train) and read the newspapers, they pointed out that there are five million unemployed in Spain. We can only return to this country with confidence and optimism, thinking of fighting and improving every day. And that's what I will do from tomorrow, I promise to all the fans and I appreciate their support."

I hope the kid does well somewhere.

Thanks for that, Steven. I was really disappointed to see him go, I really rate the kid, he improveed a lot and he is only 21, but reading those comments I must also praise his dignity which belies his age.

He deserves better. I hope he gets it.

There are only 4 seats for the next seasons and only (imo) 8 F1drivers: Rubens and Tonio (in their way out); Buemi and Algersuari; Petrov, Di Resta, Hulkenberg and Sutil. So 6 drivers will fight for 4 seats between them and with some rookies like Bianchi. It will be hard .

Has it ever been easy? If I had to choose among the 6 (excluding rookies because as always I'm uninformed) I'd like to see Alguersuari, Petrov, Di Resta and let's say the Hulk (I don't know why but sometimes Sutil annoys me).

It's now time for a reality check ppl... in what now appears to be an ANNUAL team principal vote, Sebastian Vettel has emerged victorious... We can then deduce that this must come as a big suprise to Alonso fans, who thought it was a once in a lifetime vote. Actually when I mentioned that his "win" last year was due to his performances during the latter part of the year, it was soundly ignored.

Anyway, here's to our best F11 driver of 2011, voted by the team principals, ONCE AGAIN....

Sebastian Vettel, Master of the F1 Universe

http://www.totalf1.com/full_story/view/402824/Vettel_voted_best_of_2011_by_F1_bosses/

Did he have any real opposition? He drove well and is a force to be reckoned with in any car. If the Red Bull company have tons of cash to burn on the STR rookie set up, then A. It will be along, long time before he is replaced at RBR, [Ricciardo and Vergne are light years away from the level of Seb and Mark's kind of talent and always will be] and more importantly, B. Red Bull will continue to spend, spend, spend to stay on top. It is no secret that they and Ferrari pulled out of FOTA because they refused to have their spending scrutinised or criticised. Sauber and STR were ordered to do the same to establish a faux discord. Anyone with half a brain can figure out that there must be an overspend somewhere at RBR. Macca and Merc aren't stupid. Good luck to Seb and my commiserations go to Buemi and Jaime. They would both do great in NASCAR.

He needed a dominant win in a dominant car to achieve that. Alonso keeps being either winner or contender no matter what kind of car he drives. So, sorry Brad, but still miles above your kid. He needs to eat a lot of cereal before he can stop being employee of the month and start being a true legend :P